Will Silicone Breast Implants Look Different from my Saline Ones?

It is time for a remove and exchange after 10 years. I'm thinking of going from saline to silicone. Will silicone give me the same look I have now?

+2

Ihave found that you need to compensate with silicone implants tath aare about 10% lartger to achieve comparable results. Silicone implant for the same volume and style will project less and feel softer

Slaine or silicone

+2

A similar look can be achieved with silicone as long as the implants are simlilar in shape and volume. More than likely the silicone implants will feel more natural.

Exchange old Saline Breast Implants with New Saline OR New Silicone Breast Implants

+2

The attractiveness of the breast is based by its appearance from a few feet away as well as conversational distance, the way it moves and most importantly, the way it feels.

Saline implants are cheaper, can be placed through smaller incisions and can be filled differentially allowing correction of minor volume discrepancies between different breasts. BUT they are heavier and ripple more than silicone gel implants which tend to feel much more natural. 

In my opinion, although both implants produce good results, the long-term results of silicone gel implants are superior.

Saline versus silicone implants

+2

Either type of implant can give a nice result in the right patient, but in general, the silicone implants offer the most natural look and feel, in particular in women who have very little breast tissue or fat to hide the implants.  For women with more breast tissue, the saline implants can offer nice results as well, and this is something that you and your surgeon can discuss in detail at your consult.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Silicone versus Saline Breast Implants

+2

In my opinion, Silicone breast implants give a much more natural look.  However, if you are happy with your look, you may want to go with the same types of implants.  I think that saline implants give an "implant" look.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Saline versus Silcone Implants

+2

Saline implants are much more round and firm than their silicone counterparts.  Thus, silicone implants tend to have a more natural look and feel, contributing to their ever increasing frequency.  About 90% of my patients choose silicone implants when electing to proceed with a breast augmentation.

The one consideration is that the implants, since they are softer and less "firm" they tend to be more compressed by your soft tissues and as a result you need a larger silicone implant to match the same look as your saline - about 50 cc per side, sometimes more. 

Thus, if you are happy with your look, you will need to to "up-size" a bit and this is a conversation you need to have in detail with your surgeon.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD