6 Weeks Enough Time to Heal After Breast Augmentation?

I will be getting a breast augmentation April 24th. I have a fitness competition on Aug 14th. I need to be able to do cardio, weight-training, and aerobic/gymnastics. Will I heal in time? I can afford to take it easy for about 6 weeks, but after that. I really need to be able to train to be ready by August. Is that possible?

Return to workout after breast implant augmentation and enlargement

+2

It really depends on whether you are going under or over.

Unders may slow your recovery and there may be certain adivsable limitations on your workouts, specifically avoidance of pectoralis strengthening routines. However, there are other advantages to placing the implants in this location.

Alternatively, placing the implants over the muscle would allow you a quicker return to your workout routine. I would highly recommend strongly supportive garments during high-impact activities.

I hope this helps!

Six weeks is usually what you need

+2

Given your time frame, you should be fine and healed for your competition. Begin slowly working back into your activities after being cleared by your surgeon, and by 6 weeks you should be able to proceed without any restrictions.

One other thing to consider is the size of the implants-- if you are very thin and are planing to have the implants placed behind the muscle, it may give you a "fake" look in particular if they are too large-- discuss this with your surgeon, and you may want to opt for a modest-sized implant that will look beautiful but natural as well.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Healing time after breast aug

+2

Thanks for your question -

Six weeks is usually adequate for most breast augmentation recovery. Strenuous activity in the immediate post-operative period can subject you to post-op bleeding.

Gradual return to exercise is key as well as close contact with your plastic surgeon. Be sure not to compromise your surgery by not following your post-op instructions.

I hope this helps and good luck with the competition.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Other issues to consider

+2

Recovery time should not be a major concern given your time frame. In athletic women such as yourself, there are some issues of technique with the augmentation to consider though. Implants above the muscle will look fake because of the low body fat, but going under can create other problems such as animation deformities when the muscle flexes. In cases like yours I use either a split muscle technique or subfascial, which gives coverage where it is needed for a more natural look while avoiding some of the other problems. I would be happy to send you some information on it.

Richard Baxter, MD

6 weeks until exercising

+1
Normally, I recommend patients start exercising after three weeks, at which time you will be able to begin your regular exercise routine, specifically aerobic and lower body weight training. Upper body weight training and push-ups should not be done until six weeks after your surgery. These guidelines are put into place to protect your body while it recovers. Any strenuous exercise too soon will increase your risk of developing complications, some of which require another surgery to correct. If your recovery goes well, then it should be no problem, however please speak to your surgeon.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

BBA

+1

It really depends on a few factors. Adequate pain control is likely the most important. Individual pain tolerance differs greatly. I find that women who have had children generally have less post-op pain, as they have a much higher pain tolerance. From a surgical point of view, there are several things the surgeon/anaesthesiologist can do to decrease your post-op pain.

I generally perform breast blocks prior to making any incisions with a mix of short- and long-acting local anaesthetics. I have found this greatly reduces post-op pain. I also encourage patients to take the prescribed pain killers regularly every 4 hours especially for the first 24-48 hours. If you don't stay on top of the pain in the immediate post-operative period, it is extremely difficult to "catch-up". Most of my patients experience very little post-op pain after breast augmentation.

Of course, the type of augmentation you have will also determine your post-operative discomfort. Larger implants, and subpectoral implant placement will also increase post-op discomfort. This doesn't mean you shouldn't get large implants, or place them under the muscle - you simply need to know what to expect. Many women also experience difficulty with sleeping in the first few weeks after augmentation due to the weight of the implants on their chest. This is more significant in back-sleepers.

To answer your question about time off work, my experience has been that there is a huge range. I have patients that go back to work the next day (against my advice), and I have had patients take as much as 2 weeks off of work. It really depends on what you do for work, and how you feel. As for taking care of your kids, if your implant is placed under the muscle, it will be a few weeks before you feel comfortable enough to pick them up.

As for scars, I tell patients it will take a year to see the absolute final result. Practically, however, by 3-6 months the scar will be very close to the final result. I suggest 3M paper taping, and have a specific scar massage protocol I use to help speed scar resolution.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Recovery time

+1

You should be okay to have surgery and then recover for 6 weeks and then restart your workouts after that time.

Gradual physical activity after breast augmentation

+1

A gradual return to full physical activity after 6 weeks is possible. You should be able to do mild lower body work out after one week or so. Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Yes, enough healing period for breast augmentation

+1

You should be fine. If the implants are under the muscle, and no complications arise, 6 weeks is adequate to recover. One thing you should expect is that your muscles will be stiff, so you will need to stretch out and warm up even more than before.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Yes you should be fine.

+1

No one can guarantee the absolute time it will take you to heal, but you should have enough time. Usually, I allow full exercise in 6 weeks and light stuff after 2 or 3 - depending on the position of the implants and how fast you heal.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD