Rhinoplasty With Silicone Bridge Aug- When Would Potential Infection Occur?

i recently had a rhinoplasty with silicon bridge augmentation. my understanding is with any foreign implant there is a significant chance of infection. is there a spcific window of time (ie. first month, first year, etc) where infection is most likely to occur? if i go through this window safely, do i no longer have to worry about infection? thank you for your time!

Infection should be an ongoing concern

+3

Unfortunately, there is no "window" of time through which you can pass safely.  There is always a chance of infection, even years after surgery.  The good news is that your body responds to the implant by creating scar tissue around the implant, making it easier for surgeons to remove, if needed.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhino with a silicone implant ... infection

+1

The bad news is that it can be infected any tiime after it is placed. It is a foreign  body placed in your nose. While the body isolates it with a layer  of fibritic tissue  there can still be problems associated with biofilm and other sources of infection that can cause a full blown infection at any time. The good news is that the longer you have it appears there is  less chance of being infected.

I hope that this is helpful for you . Jon Sattler, MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California.

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon

Infection after Silicone Nasal Implant

+1

As you would expect,  if one develops an infection after placement of a silicone nasal implant it is most likely to occur right after the surgical procedure. Although rare, an infection is possible months or years later. This is why i prefer to use the patient's own tissue for nasal augmentation. Now that the implant has been placed, it would be reasonable to leave well enough alone, but seek medical care if redness, swelling, or pain occurs in the future. If necessary, the silicone could be removed at that time.

Infection risk with silicone dorsal implant during Rhinoplasty

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and have used countless dorsal silicone grafts.  IMHO, the risk of infection is quite low (do not agree that the risk is significant) and the risk does decreease over the subsequent months as the nasal incisions heal and the nasal tissues form a capsule around the implant. 

Trauma, to the nose, that causes bleeding around the implant or twisting/pinching, of the nose, with sufficient force to re-open the superior aspect of the incision inside the nose allows bacterial contamination of the implant.  This should be explained to you by your Rhinoplasty surgeon.  These are great implants if you follow some basic precautions.

The Risk Of Complications With Nasal Implants Relates To Size And Shape

+1

As with any implant placed in the body, there is no time limit in terms of potential complications. A nose implant is no exception. But the risk of infection with any facial implant is highest in the first few months after surgery. Once this time period has passed, the risk of infection decreases albeit never goes completely away. The long-term risk, and the more likely one, with a nasal implant is tissue thinning and/or extrusion. This is a risk that can actually increase over time not become less. This is of concern in dorso-columellar implants that place the nasal tip under tension. In dorsal nasal implants that do not elevate or stress the nasal tip very much or at all, this is much less of a long-term risk.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Building nasal bridge with Silicone implants

+1

Silicone nasal bridge implants are susceptible to infections and extrusions forever.   

Vasdev Rai, MD

Silicone window

+1

There is no exact window. I have seen them get infected right away and also years later. You will definitely know if it happens. Most of the time they work well so don't worry. Just go with it

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Silicone implant problems depend partly on implant shape

+1

If your implant is just along the bridge, you may be OK for many years.  If, however, your implant is L-shaped and there is tension on your nasal tip, be very watchful.

Unfortunately, the time for a problem never "expires."  I assume that your surgeon told you that fact.  If you do have a problem, however, you can still be reconstructed again using your own cartilage and bone.  Just be sure to see an expert surgeon experienced on your problem--and whom you like!

Good luck.. I hope that you are fine forever.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Silicone infections

+1

Unfortunately you are never going to be out of the woods for infection once you have a silicone implant in your nose.  I have seen them happen a few months to several years after placement.  The important thing is to make sure you see your surgeon early if you have any redness, swelling, pus, etc.  That is the reason many surgeons prefer not to use any artifical materials for rhinoplasty.  This is a fairly controversial topic amongst rhinoplasty surgeons, however.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infection after nasal silicone implant

+1

Usually an infection would occur in the early post op period with placement of an implant.  That said,  an infection could occur at any time usually due to erosion through the tissues with implant exposure.  Patients with thick tissues decrease this from happening, but no one is totally immune to this process.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD