How Much Time After a Liposuction Can I Go Back to my Weight Trainings?

Dear Doctors, I'd like to know how much time after my body-jet liposuction (love handles - stomach) can I go back to my weight trainings ? I'm not talking about abdominal or back exercices ... but for example arms and chest. It's just a small layer of fat that will be removed which can't be burn with a clean diet and cardio. I'm afraid to lose a big part of my muscles during my "inactivity" during the recovery as I'm usually lifting weights 4 hours a week.

Quick recovery from liposuction

+2

Liposuction has one of the quickest and easiest recoveries of any plastic surgery procedure.  You should be able to start working out within just a few days, of course avoiding working on the areas that were treated for about a week. Then, you should be able to do just about anything that you want. Use common sense, don't overdo it the first time or two and see how you do. If you get a significant increase in swelling after a workout, wait for a few days and cut back a little when you try it again. If  you have no problems, gradually increase the severity of your workouts. One thing that I would recommend that you avoid for at least a month is soaking in a hot tub or hot bath.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Exercise After Liposuction Is A Matter Of Conmfort

+2

Activity after liposuctin can be done when you feel physically able. Since you are only doing exercises for areas that have not been treated by liposuction, then you may resume them in a matter of days or when it feels comfortable to do. Exercise will not hurt the results from liposuction but it may cause some temporary increased swelling in the treated areas.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Exercise after Lipo

+2

For my patients, they can go back to a normal exercise routine on areas of the body that were not treated right away. However for areas that were treated, I tend to say one week of low impact exercise, like walking and then slowly ramp back up to your normal workout routine over the next week or so.

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Weightlifting after Liposuction surgery

+1

Thanks for the question.

Generally it is respectful to follow your surgeon's recommendations.

For my patients in your situation weight training  areas not treated can be resumed very quickly  (within one week  after surgery).  I would suggest that you “start slow” and listen to your body (look for signs of swelling after workout).

After lipo activity

+1

Consult your borad certified plastic surgeon for best practice activity. On the whole I allow people to resume pre op training seven working days after lipo. This varries but the majority can go back after that time to the routines they used before the surgery.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

+1

From your posted photo I most likely would not recommend spot area liposuction in your case. But I have not examined you. ASs for return to "full" exercise at least 10 days.