Tightness and Numbness of Chin Implant, Also Would I Benefit from One? (photo)

I read that the numbness experienced the first week or so is comparable to the feeling of local anesthetics used in minor dental procedures, would this be an reasonable comparison? As far as tightness goes, will this be around chin-lip area or will it include further down the neck to throat region? Last but not least, I've attached a sideview picture, and based on that could I get any significant benefit from a chin implant? Thanks so much!

Chin implant numbness and tightness

+2

A small chin implant is  inserted through a submental approach  and is placed directly over the bone. There will be some temporary numbness  which usually subsides after the first few weeks. It is pretty rare, but possible to  have permanent numbness. Tightness is usually not an issue  and the implant usually feels like  your own mandible.

Tightness and Numbness of Chin Implant, Also Would I Benefit from One?

+2

Tightness and numbness can occur but are typically well tolerated. The numbness can range from feeling like you've just been to the dentist to a more mild "pins and needles" sensation. The tightness is usually not something that is problematic. When it is noted it is typically limited to the area overlying the actual implant as opposed to elsewhere in the face/ neck. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant questions

+2

From your picture, you do appear to be a candidate for chin augmentation with an implant.  There are different styles and sizes, so you could determine the best one for you with your surgeon.  It is possible to get some temporary numbness after the procedure, but sometimes this lasts only a day or so.  Sometimes it can last longer. It may feel similar to the feeling of having a local anesthetic for a dental procedure.  Any tightness you would feel is usually temporary as well and is usually confined to just the chin area and not down to the neck and throat.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tightness and numbness following chin implant

+1

Looking at your photos, it appears you would benefit from a chin augmentation. Any tightness and numbness associated with the implant is minimal, and will resolve over time. Duration of the tightness/numbness depends on the individual circumstances of the patient. It is generally localized to the area where the implant is placed. From here, I would recommend a consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. They will be able to examine you in person and provide you with some advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD