Can I Tighten my Tummy with Exercise, or Do I Need a Tummy Tuck Revision?

Even after a tummy tuck, my stomach still hangs when I bend down.  Is it possible to tighten my stomach muscles further with exercise, or do I need a tummy tuck revision?

Tummy Tuck or Exercise to Tighten Loose Tumm Skin After Tuck

+2

Exercise will certainly tighten your Tummy muscles but will not tighten skin that is loose and hanging.

Hopefully a Mini Tummy Tuck can adequately tighten the loose skin that you have. If however there is loose skin above the belly button the Mini will not be adequate.

Wait At Least 6 Months Before Proceeding With Revisional Surgery

+1

When patients have weak muscles following abdominoplasty surgery exercise can occasionally address the problem by strengthening the muscles.  When loose skin is present, exercise won’t impact the problem.  Under these circumstances secondary surgery may be necessary to correct the deformity.

It’s important to wait at least six months before proceeding with revisional surgery.  This allows resolution of post-operative swelling and stabilization of the patient’s condition.  If the loose skin is confined to the area below the umbilicus a mini-abdominoplasty may provide an excellent solution for this problem.

It’s important to consult your surgeon, so an appropriate treatment plan can be formulated.  If revision is necessary results should be excellent with this approach. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

It is not uncommon for patients to have some laxity when they bend over or sit.  The abdomen may be tight and flat when you are standing but there is laxity with bending. 

Certainly there needs to be some flexibility to the abdominal wall so that you can stand straight and twist without being so tight that it is uncomfortable.  Exercise and maintaining a reasonable weight will help to contour the abdomen after the loose skin has been removed and improve your surgical result.  It is unusual to need a revision of a tummy tuck if you have maintained a constant weight.  In some cases, liposuction especially of the upper abdomen can contour and define the abdomen.  

Michelle J. Place, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Revision

+1

If you have loose skin, then excercise alone would not fulfill your objectives. Consult with 2 to 3 surgeons in your area to understand your treatment options including your original surgeon.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Exercise after Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

It is difficult to say without examining you (or seeing photos) but if you have "loose skin" then exercise will most likely not correct the hanging skin.

Best to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to go over your options in detail.

Best Wishes!

Persistently loose skin after a

+1

If your skin hangs after you do a tummy tuck, it is most likely that you have loose skin rather than loose muscles. I do not feel that tightening up the muscles would make any significant difference. However, additional skin tightening may be achieved with a scar revision..

Tummy Tuck and Hanging Skin

+1

It really depends by what you mean by hanging.  If it is skin then you will need a revision tummy tuck.  Skin does not retract back with exercise.  You can tighten up your muscles and firm your abdomen with exercise but skin will continue to hang even with vigorous workouts.

Good luck

Farbod Esmailian, MD