Tight Splint After Nose Job Causes Dent?

I had a Rhinoplasty last year and wore a splint. One night, it fell off and, in my drugged stupor, I put it back on way too tightly. Now, my nose is slightly crooked and has a large indentation. Did I cause this because of the tightness of the splint? Can it be fixed? Should I get a Second-Rhinoplasty?

Revision Surgery is possible

+1

While the actual cause is irrelevant, the main question is are you happy with the appearance of the nose.  Revision surgery is possible but you have to weigh the risks with the benefits.

Yes it can be fixed

+1

It is impossible to say why the nose is crooked; it may or may not be related to the cast falling off and replacing it. The tightness of the splint did not create the indentation. Yes, it can be fixed, but the nose will most likely have to be rebroken on a revision rhinoplasty.

What you should do about dent after Rhinoplasty

+1

What you have described is possible.

Again, you must weigh all the advantages and disadvantages of having a second surgery. Only you can decide if the appearance and/or breathing is poor enough to warrant an additional procedure, time off from work, cost, recovery, and possibility of it not being completely improved or even possibly made worse.

It is a big decision. It wouldn't be a bad idea to discuss it with another plastic surgeon. He or she should be able to honestly explain to you what kind of improvement could be expected. This may help you make a decision.

John Diaz, MD

Maybe yes or no.

+1

It doesn't make any difference as to the cause at this point. If you can breath well and the nose looks good to YOU, leave it alone. If not, have a secondary surgery to correct it.

What a splint does after a rhinoplasty.

+1

In many rhinoplasties, cuts are made in the bones of the nose (osteotomies) to resposition the bones. In a sense, until they are healed, one could consider them "broken bones". So, just as if someone had an injury and broke their arm (which is then casted to keep in in correct position to allow it to heal), the bones of the nose can be moved - at first, fairly easily, then with more and more difficulty.

I cannot assume that you actually had osteotomies, but if you did, and if you replaced the splint and squeezed "too hard", then you may indeed have displaced the bones from your surgeon's intended positioning. Tightness may or may not have been the issue, but the "bottom line" is that (as an unbiased physician answering your question) it sounds as if you did something that caused your nose to heal in an imperfect way.

Can it be fixed? Probably. Should you get a secondary rhinoplasty? Any decision for any surgery is made by evaluating the cost (not just financial, but also things like time "off" from work or school, pain and suffering, et cetera) versus the benefit. Only you can decide if it is work paying the money, taking time off, and enduring discomfort and healing to achieve the desired aesthetic goals.

David W. Stepnick, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon