How Tight Should a Compression Garment Be?

I am one day post op for lipo of the abdomen and flanks. The compression garment I was sent home in had clasps up the front (with pads under to absorb drainage), shoulder straps and a hole in the crotch. It wasn't extremely tight and felt like my lower abdomen/groin weren't being compressed much, and were swelling up as well as jiggling when I moved. I put spanx over the garment which helps the support and doesn't feel uncomfortable, but is there such thing as too much compression?

Compression garments

+2

Compression garments are supposed to be snug but not too tight.  Some surgeons don't even use them.

Trust your doc to put you in the right compression garment after liposuction.

+2

Liposuction garments should give moderate compression for the 1st month after liposuction. We compress alittle less today than we did many yrs ago since we want both drainage of fluid and compression.  If too much compression, then patients get nauseated and vomit and there is less fluid able to escape by leaking out as we would like. If no compression, then there is also less drainage since the fluid just sits in the abdominal fat layer cavity creating a seroma or hematoma which will need draining manually. You do swell for the 1st 3-4 days so do expect the compression garment to get tighter for a few days before the swelling starts to go down. You won't be any bigger than you were prior to the lipo surgery though.  That is why you only see a little improvement at the 1 week time.  After 1 week you start to massage and exercise which help stimulate the lymphatics to help drain away the fluid faster and you see a big difference at 1 month.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Compression Garments

+1

Compression garments should feel snug but comfortable.  Occaisionally, you may have periodic swelling in the area you had surgery and the garment needs to be adjusted.  If it is too tight, the garment can irritate the skin and create irregularities (creases) in the skin.  Ask you surgeon to show you how snug he wants it.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Brian Joseph

Brian Joseph, MD

Postop compression

+1
The compression garment should be moderately snug. No compression garment will prevent swelling. Yes, there can be too much compression. If you have any concerns about the fit of the garment, do not self prescribe a solution. See your plastic surgeon for followup.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Compression Garments After Liposuction

+1

A garment with gentle compression helps to keep down bruising and swelling in the early post operative phase.  It helps skin positioning as well.  There is no need for the garment to be excessively tight.  Too much of a good thing is still too much.  Excess tension can cut off circulation and damage the skin. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Liposuction and Compression

+1

Too much compression can impair breathing, damage the skin,  and predispose to clots forming in the leg veins (deep vein thrombosis), both of which can have dire consequences. Creases in a garment can create permanent dents if they cause sustained pressure on a treated area. 

If you had pads put under the garment your surgeon may have intentionally left the wounds open to drain, and some surgeons believe that with this 'open-drainage' technique the garment is less important, especially after the first few days. 

If you feel comfortable, you are unlikely doing any harm, but you should confirm with your surgeon.

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Compression garments should not be tight

+1

Your surgeon is the best person to ask.  I can tell you that I have my patients fitted prior to surgery to make sure that the garment isn't too tight.  It should feel snug, but not so tight that it's uncomfortable--that would be counterproductive.  Compression garments are used to decreased post-operative swelling as well as help hold the appropriate shape following surgery.

Elan B. Singer, MD

How much compression

+1

Compression garments should feel snug, but they should be comfortable.  It is important to have even compression over the surgical areas. Visit with your surgeon to assure appropriate fit.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon