Tight Abs but Loose Skin and Stretch Marks - Different Tummy Tuck Procedure?

I have had 4 kids including twins. I am in really good shape and am back to my pre-pregnancy weight now. I even have defined abs but have loose skin and stretch marks which I hate. What differences could I expect in the procedure and recovery time if my issue is just with the skin and do not need tightening of my abdominal wall? Would this also cost less? Thanks.

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and the history provided.

A few general words of caution may be helpful in regards to mini- tummy tuck surgery. In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Tummy tuck

+1

If your muslce are in good shape you may not need a diastasis repair. But with loose skin that is hanging,. A tummy tuck may be reasonable. Hard to say without a photo or exam.

Skin Only Tummy Tuck Candidates are Arare

+1
The simple unassailable fact is that the very foundation of a great Tummy Tuck is a totally flat tummy which is brought about by a tight repair of stretched AND separated abdominal muscles. Because one pregnancy, much less multiple pregnancies, irreversibly separate and stretch the abdominal muscles to an extent that is never recoverable nor repairable with intense exercise. As a result, even the most athletic mothers posses a variable degree of abdominal wall laxity. The muscle repair does not take a long time or effort and not performing it would not result in a major financial saving. Dr. Peter Aldea

Skin only tummy tuck.

+1

As mentioned by Dr. Blinski, a skin only tummy tuck may be a good procedure for you. The cost may be less than a full depending on the amount of time to perform the procedure and the length of the incision. I recently had a patient run a marathon, against my advice, 6 weeks after a skin only tummy tuck, However, it would likely be a 2 week recovery.

Loose skin on the abdomen

+1

4kidsmama,

If you decide to remove only the skin without muscle tightening, your recovery will be quicker and less uncomfortable.  You will not be restricted from lifting heavy objections or straining as you would if you had your muscles tightened.  

The cost of the procedure, however, remains the same.  I am not aware of any surgeon who's fees vary depending on whether or not the muscle gets tightened.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Loose Skin and Stretch Marks

+1

A Skin only tummy tuck takes approximately the same amount of time as a full tummy tuck with muscle repair. So the fees are essentially similar . Healing might be slightly shorter. See 3 boarded surgeons in person. So Cost would be a bit less. Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski 305 598 0091