I Am Looking at "Tickle" Lipo for Next Week. Weight Gain From Prednisone?

have never had any type of reconstructive/cosmetic surgery, but am 5'7" and was a size 4/6 my entire life... last year, was on prednisone for 5 months and gained nearly 20 lbs, primarily in my abdomen (with a bit on my inner thigh) -- would 300cc even make a difference and allow me to once again wear my closet full of clothes??? (ps in the past year, after having still been able to wear clothes from high school - but wouldn't... lol, have gone from 128 lbs to 142 lbs... eeek!) thanks in advance!

Tickle Lipo for Weight Gain from Steroids

+1

I would be very suspicious of the tickle lipo, we tested the machine here in my office and was not impressed. Also, the weight gain should be evaluated more closely, typically weight gain from medications improves after stopping the medication, I would encourage you to visit with an experinced liposuction surgeon before you waste/spend money on tickle lipo to gather more information to see if you are a good candidate for liposuction at all. Be carefull and good luck.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

What kind of liposuction?

+1

I have never heard of "tickle" liposuction before. It's very name suggests it should not be taken seriosly. Buyer beware.Get a consult with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery if this is a significant issue that you would like advice about.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Can liposuction help after weight gain from prednisone?

+1

You've brought up a very important point to discuss. Liposuction can only reduce the fat that is directly under the skin between the skin and the muscle layer. Fat in the abdomen is also stored below that, inside where the organs are located, and that fat cannot be reduced with liposuction. It's quite common for the extra fat storage that occurs on the abdomen from taking prednisone to be that inside-where-the-organs-are type of fat, and very little of it is directly under the skin.

It's very important that you have an examination by a physician who can explain to you just where your fat is stored. You asked whether 300 cc of fat removal would make a difference. Not much, and not enough, in my opinion, to counter the change in your appearance from having gained 20 lbs. that is mostly stored in your abdomen. If someone suggested that they would be able to remove about 300 cc, then your fat is mostly not in a place where liposuction would offer meaningful change.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon