Thyroid Surgery Scar

In July of 2010 I had my thyroid removed. My thyroid had grown into my sternum and my chest needed to be opened to removed the thyroid. I now have 2 scars one across my neck and one down my chest that after 9 months and 2 rounds of cortisone injections doesn't feel like is improving.

I am unable to wear anything that rubs against it due to how sensitive the area is. I have had surgery before and have always healed well. Any advise?

Hypertrophic scar treatment

+2

Hypertrophic and keloid scars are difficult to treat.  The element of unpredictability is always a source of stress for both the doctor and the patient.  These scars are certainly unfavorable.  They will likely require re-excision and repair.  But therapy does not stop there.  They will be optimized with silicone sheets (these are like band aids with silicone on the bottom) for 12 hours per day.  If they begin to hypertrophy, early steroid treatment is best.  If you decide to have these treated, choose a surgeon who will see you often.  These require close and frequent follow up and potentially multiple treatments with steroid injections.  But, everyone is different.  The good news is, these can be treated, and revision can be done under local anesthesia alone. 

Surgical scarring

+2

These are hypertrophic scars and are mostly likely caused by skin tension along the suture line and movement along the scar line with daily activities. The treatment would be scar debulking/excision followed by methods to prevent recurrence (pressure garments/dressings, scar injections, medicated/medical tape).

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Scar revision and treatment for thyroid scars - Plato's Medicinals Scar Serum

+1
I have had great experience with thyroid surgery scars and believe that, based on your photo, you have an inflamed scar that should be addressed with pressure treatment, IIT, Cortisone injections, vascular laser, and silicone; all in combination to revise the scar.  

Topical therapy includes Plato's Medicinals Scar Serum to reduce scar hypertrophy. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS