Three Years After Upper Eyelid Surgery, my Eyelids Are Permanently Reddish. What Can Be Done?

My scars are still visible, I have milia but worst of all, my eyelids are permanently reddish so I have to use concealer in order to look "normal." Will a laser treatment or other procedure help, or is this permanent?

Redness of Scar after Three Years Following Upper Eyelid Surgery

+1

If the scar is red three years after surgery, laser may be appropriate if skin classification is reasonable.

Reddish eyelid after surgery

+1

You should be evaluated by an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic specialist. What you are referring to may be blepharitis or something else.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Reddish Eyes & Milia Can Be Improved

+1

Thank you for your question.  Milia and skin discoloration is possible after eyelid surgery.  The first step is to check in with your ophthalmologist to make sure that you do not have any allergies or inflammatory conditions such as ocular rosacea contributing to your problems.  Once the medical issues have been ruled out, then the cosmetic concerns can be addressed. Millia can be treated by unroofing them or excising them.  If the eyelid skin is red due to vascular changes, then broad band light treatments with special eye shields can be helpful to reduce the redness.  Best Wishes!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Red lids after Upper Blepharoplasty

+1

It is very common to have red or pinkish color to the upper lid skin in the area immediately above the eyelashes. Usually it is there before surgery as well but was never noticed because of the excess skin covering the lid. Laser or IPL in that area is tricky. You will need special globe protecting corneal shields designed for such procedures. You are better off not doing any procedure. Make sure you do not have ocular allergies as eyelids can have prolonged redness with it. If you do, then your doctor can try Pataday drops to see if it helps. Also try artificial tears. After all said and done, eye shadow is the best way to go.

Best regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lasers can be helpful.

+1

If you have elevated scars, laser resurfacing [CO2 or erbium] can help smooth out the scars.

If it is just redness, a laser treatment [IPL, Intense Pulse Light] will help. You need to see a surgeon or dermatologist with the appropriate lasers.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

A laser might help

+1

I have not seen permanent redness in upper blepharoplasty scars, however seeing a picture of your results would be helpful.  I have had success with laser treatment of red scars, however, it's difficult to say if you'd be a good candidate without seeing pictures.

Guy Cappuccino, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelids red after blepharoplasty three years ago

+1

A picture would be helpful to give your the best advice.  I'm uncertain as to the reason for the redness of your upper eyelids three years after your blepharoplasty.  There are lasers that can remove redness but it's difficult to know if you would be a good candidate for this treatment without seeing you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon