Three Weeks After Labiaplasty- Are the Stitches Dissolved?

Hi- I never saw any stitches, but am now wondering if they are dissolved after three weeks. I have only looked at myself a couple of times because it is awful- I am really hoping they may still be in place where I don't see them and causing the horrible appearance. It ki da looks like all inner labia (sorry, I forget which is named which...) was removed and there is just an empty gap between the larger labia. The larger labia look sort of "tucked under". How close is this to final appearance?

Labiaplasty Stitches

+2

The stitches are most likely dissolved or under the surface. You still will have swelling so now is not the time to assess your outcome. Your final result will not be evident for a few months.

Removing of labia tissue during labiaplasty

+1

There is usually a period of swelling after labiaplasty, both in the labia majora and labia minora.  Most patients do very well provided that too much or too little has not been removed.  Raffy Karamanoukian, MD Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Labiaplasty

+1

First, bring your concerns to the attention of your plastic surgeon.  Usually the sutures used for labiaplasty are dissolving but there may be a situation that required your surgeon to use sutures that need to be removed.  Allow yourself to heal and do not worry about the results.  You will not see the final result until all the swelling has resolved.  This may take as long as 6 months.

Richard P. Glunk, MD, FACS

Richard P. Glunk, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty sutures

+1

It is most common to use absorbable sutures for a labiaplasty.  For now, you should be patient as you heal because it is difficult to judge the result early after surgery.  However, you should definitely communicate your concerns to your surgeon.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Concerns about labiaplasty results 3 weeks after

+1

The labia can certainly look concerning but since you are past the procedure, you are in the phase of holding on tight and finishing the 'ride'.  You should mention your concerns to your doctor, especially if the appearance is not even close to what you anticipated and a good doctor would take the time to explain to you what happened and reassure you that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  You should not have to sit home wondering if everything is okay so please call your doctor and air your concerns.  As for sutures dissolving, most surgeons would use sutures that dissolve easily by 3 weeks... its simply too irritating to have them in longer.

Curtis Wong, MD

+1

Absorbable stitches make the most sense for use in this area, as no one wants to have stitches in this area removed.   The time for absorption varies.  The final result may take several months for swelling to resolve, depending upon technique used, amount resected, and individual healing characteristics.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

3 weeks after labiaplasty - are stitches dissolved?

+1

It really depends on the type of stitches your surgeon used.  I use stitches that usually dissolve in 3 weeks.  it's very important to not judge your results right away.  it takes time for the tissue to heal and for all of the swelling to go away.  I strongly recommend you follow up with your surgeon if you have concerns after your healing is complete.

Jennifer Harrington MD

Jennifer Harrington, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon