Three Incisions in the Leg for 5 Leg Areas! Is This Possible or Was I Tricked?

Two days ago I had PAL liposuction. I had my ankles, calves, above the knee, anterior thigh, and out thigh done (also arms). My doctor told me he is so experienced he is able to do this through the three incisions he has left on each leg. I have an incision on the far left and far right side of my knee, and on my outer thigh. Now that I am post I am having feelings of self doubt, which I have read is normal. However, I can also not help but think somehow I am being tricked???

One incision of multiple sites?

+1

Thank you for your question.  I hope that you are finding satisfaction with your liposuction.

It is very common to be able to treat multiple areas through one incision.  It is always the goal to perform as few incisions as possible.  I would recommend the speak with your plastic surgeon  He or she would likely to be able to show you how the areas that were treated were reached through your incisions.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Incisions for liposuction

+1
Its common to address one area with several incisions in order to provide the best overall contouring effect. If ur doctor just made three incisions thats a very good situation to contour such a large area. The number of incisions does not mean much as sometimes greater number if incisions are the best option to provide optimum results

Misbah Khan, MD

Liposuction Technique

+1

Since different physicians apply different techniques, it is difficult to measure the outcome of liposuction results by the amount of incisions. One barometer would be to wait and see if you like your leg/ankle countour, when the swelling subsides, and if not, discuss with your physician. As a physician becomes more experienced with liposuction, they may be able to combine the liposuctioon of various areas through a common insicion.

The ultimate test is whether you see improvement from your before photos.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction incsions

+1
It is possible to address more than one area through the same incision. Of course, it is impossible to comment with respect to your particular case without photographs and an understanding of where the incisions were made. Typically, a knee incision would not enable the surgeon to address your ankles. You are correct that it is common for patients to second-guess their decisions but, if you feel that something is amiss, doesn't hesitate to contact your doctor and inquire.

Robert L. Kraft, MD