Will Removing Threads 4 Years Post Thread Lift Cause Jowl to Sag?

I am having a neck lift done and have had a Thread Lift for 4 years now. My doctor wants to remove the threads in the neck and jowl area while doing the Neck lift.

However, he will not be doing a Face lift, only a Neck lift. Will my face drop in the jowl area if he does this? Usually, people who remove the threads get the Face lift. I don't need one right now and think it’s because of the Thread Lift. Help!

Thread lifts

+3

Sounds like you are one of the lucky few that had a good experience with the threadlift. A recent study showed that the threads and the lift lasted no more than 3-4 months in most comers. I disagree that the scar tissue has had an effect. In my experience the only way to have an enduring lift is to lift and tighten the SMAS. Go ahead and let your docotr remove the threads!

Removing the threads will not cause the face to drop.

+2

After several months the threads which repositioned the jowls and deeper structures have done their job. Scar tissue has secured these structures in their new position and are not needed any more.

Removing the threads after 4 years should not change anything

+2

The best person to assess if the threads should be removed is the surgeon that is examining you. Thread lifts are able to have an effective hold for about one to two years so after this time there should not be any drooping or loss of support by removing them. It would probably be a good time to remove them so they do not become visible or palpable in the future.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Thread lift longevity

+2

It is difficult to know for sure but usually thread lift longevity is not more than 2 years. The reason why is the tissue that the threads suspend weakens or the threads pull through. Removing these threads at this point will USUALLY not cause significant changes in the way you look.

You should have a clear discussion with your plastic surgeon and be prepared that, while unikely, there may be changes after the threads are removed.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Thread Lift Has Lost FDA Approval

+1

Considering a thread lift doesn't typically last four years, it should not have a significant impact now that you are having the threads removed and neck lift performed.

Your plastic surgeon may actually be doing you a favor considering the FDA has taken its seal of approval off of facial thread lifts. The reason being is because there were more risks of adverse affects. Patients usually experienced more discomfort than positive results in any case.

In addition, I would recommend writing down and then discussing any questions you may have with your surgeon. He should be able to answer them and set your mind at ease. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thread Lift Removal

+1

If you have any doubts about what your surgeon is telling you then you need to get a second opinion. If he/she feels the threads can and should be removed then that is your best guide. Having done a few of these procedures over the years, I can tell you the reason they are no longer available is that the lift only lasted a few months at best. Therefore, if should make little difference if they are removed four years later. With that said, I would not have a surgery simply to remove them if they aren't bothering you. If they are deeply embedded that could be more harmful than beneficial because of the trauma to the tissues getting them out.

Generally speaking what most people call a neck lift is really what we think of as a face lift. While there are a few less common operations out there that just treat the neck, the loose skin under the chin almost always accompanies jowling and should be they addressed together. Simple removal of loose neck skin is possible but even the best scar will be immediately apparent. Instead, the scar is hidden by the ear and loose neck and facial skin is shifted to around the ear where it can be removed with a more cosmetically acceptable scar. This would be a standard face lift. Combining it with eyelid and brow rejuvenation and you have what most people refer to as a full face lift.

Barry Stuart Handler, MD

Thread Lift Thread Removal 4 Years After Procedure

+1

It is unlikely for anything to change if the threads are removed 4 years after the original procedure. I would agree with the other physicians though about the necessity for their removal. In most cases, the threads are only removed due to persistent pain or extrusion of the threads through the skin.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thread lift and neck lift

+1

If you had threads placed a few years ago and the jowls are improved then likely you have enough scar tissue that will limit recurrence of the jowls. It is unlikely that removing the threads at this point will cause the jowls to return anytime soon. If your surgeon is performing a neck lift, and he notices the jowls are still present, he can possibly correct them at the same time.

No

+1

Having performed hundreds of threadlifts and mini lifts, I hardly reccomend removing threads unless they are causing discomfort, or have broken and migrated. Since you are having an additional surgical procedure, removal will not likely cause your jowl to sag, although you make experience more bruising and swelling as a result of removing the threads. You should discuss this further with your surgeon.

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist