I am having second thoughts on the lower eye surgery. Do I need it? (Photos)

I do not have fat deposits just loose skin and hollowness. I am 57. Photos included. Scheduled to have upper and lower eye surgery this Friday (1/3/14) as well as CO2 Fraxel Laser.

Do I need lower eyelid surgery?

+1

Based on the limited photos that you provided, you can cosmetically improve the eyelid appearance with an upper and lower eyelid surgery. However, only you can determine if the lids bother you enough to cosmetically improve them with any procedure. Since the proposed procedures are elective, if you are ambivalent you should not undergo any procedure until you are sure that you want to proceed with it.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

I am having second thoughts on the lower eye surgery. Do I need it?

+1

Only you can determine if you are a candidate. The posted photos say YES! But you need to decide if you want to proceed..

I think that you should do well with the appropriate blepharoplasty.

+1
For your upper eyelids, you have some extra skin that can be removed.  The lower lids are always more difficult.  You don't have big fat bags, but you can see in the side picture that you do have some fat in the lid which can be repositioned to help fill in the hollow.  If you have fat taken out there is always a chance of hollowing.  You will probably need some skin taken out from the lower lids, and the laser will help to tighten the skin.  If you are unsure of what  you should do, get another opinion before you do the surgery.     

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

I do not know the financial agreement you have entered with your potential surgeon.

+1
Having said that, I strongly advise to listen to your intuition.  Your brain is trying to tell you something very important.  If you are not sure, please do not have surgery.  Even if you take a financial hit, it is better than having surgery and regretting your choice later.  You need to be 100% certain about what you are doing.  Inherently what is planned may be fine for you or it might be a disaster.  Some part of your brain knows something.  I recommend that at a minimum you postpone surgery.  Try to determine what your concerns are with this surgeon.  Perhaps you need to seek other opinions.  This biggest risk I see with upper blepharoplasty for you is over resection of the upper eyelids.  For the lower eyelids, is your surgeon planning to make an incision below your eyelashes on the skin or do all of the surgery behind the eyelid (tranconjunctival lower blepharoplasty).  How aggressive is the laser treatment that is planned for?  Perhaps you do not know all the details of the planned surgery.  Listen to your intuition.

Eyelid surgery

+1
Eyelid surgery can help you look younger, more refreshed, and less tired.  Doing the upper and the lower lids at the same time is frequently done.  In the case where there is loose skin under the eyes, treatment with a laser is an excellent way to tighten the loose skin.  Hollowing under the eyes can be addressed with fat injections or fat transposition.  Both techniques give wonderful results.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon