Lipo Scheduled for April 5th, Dr is Board Certified but Not Many Pics. Cancel or Just Scared?

He does mainly reconstruction in the hospital and is just starting to increase his cosmetic practice. He is board certified but there are not many pics to judge his work from. How can I be sure he is qualified to do lipo? I am told he is a perfectionist but is that enough or does it take years of practice with hundreds of cases? Maybe its just nerves but a bad lipo job seems so hard to correct that I would rather lose my deposit...

Cancel or not to cancel surgery.

+1

I believe a large picture gallery is a great tool for educating yourself on the work of that surgeon. I suggest looking for reviews as well. With all that being said, at the end of the day, you should never proceed with surgery unless you have %100 trust and certainty in your surgeon. All the best to you.

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Don't use photos as method to choose plastic surgeon

+1

Photos are not necessarily the best way to pick a plastic surgeon.  You picked him initially for some reason...I would sit down and talk to him and if you still feel uneasy cancel the surgery.  Don't have surgery if you have any reservations at all.

"Before and after" photos not the best way to pick lipo surgeon

+1

Although it is reasonable to expect to see some photos, keep in mind that each patient has to consent if their pictures are to be used for marketing and education. Surgeons have to find a balance between patient privacy and recruiting their patients to help market their practice. If your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery then he or she has been adequately trained to do body contouring procedures including liposuction. Plastic surgeons who focus primarily on cosmetic (aesthetic) surgery can be found on the link below. However, I would not be put off by a lack of photos with your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.surgery.org/

Lipo by primarilly reconstructive surgeon

+1

Every plastic surgeon starts out without a lot of photos. That does not mean they are not well trained. However, an experienced board certified Plastic Surgeon might be a better choice. Make sure they are board certified in Plastic Surgery not a "cosmetic surgeon" who may be board certified in anything. I would look for someone who is a member of American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) see: surgery.org.  Those members are board certified in plastic surgery and specialize in cosmetic plastic surgery. Look for someone who has a lot of photos to show and also has many good online reviews and has a list of patients who are willing to talk to you about their experience.

Web reference: http://www.squiresclinic.com/denver-photo-gallery/liposuction

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Lipo by plastic surgeon without many photos

+1
Frankly, I am always dubious when I see a huge number of photos on a colleague's website. My photo consent is a full page long and most patients will not consent for their pictures to be displayed on the internet or even shown in the office. And, keep in mind that lipo photos don't show the face! I consider liposuction one of the simplest procedures I perform. It is important to select a surgeon with whom you are comfortable. If you have doubts, schedule a second consultation with your doctor to see if this will allay your anxiety.

+1

You may always ask how many liposuction procedures the doctor performs every year.  This will give you an idea.  Sometimes, plastic surgeons do not put a great number of photos on the website.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA  

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Liposuction.php

Board certified doctor

+1

A doctor who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery has undergone extensive training in all areas of plastic surgery including liposuction. Many docs are reticent to show any photos since the patient may not have consented to have their photos shown...this is a good thing if that is the reason. I would go back and have another consultation with him, be sure you have a good rapport with him and ask straught out how many he has done. If it only a few then you might be best going to another board certified surgeon who has done more.