Will grafts stay in place?

I am just trying to get an understand of how multiple grafts stay in place. Once they are sewn in with they stay put for life? Will I need ongoing surgery in the future? My first surgery did not go well - inverted v deformity, collapsed tip, nose too short and can't breathe properly now.

Nasal grafts

+2
I usually sew in my grafts with sutures that eventually dissolve. They stay long enough for the tissues to heal and solidfy the surrounding soft tissue.

Multiple grafts in revision rhinoplasty

+2
Your question is a good one.  If all of the issues are taking place with your nose following your first rhinoplasty surgery, then it sounds as if all of the grafts your surgeon has described are going to be necessary.  Part of the art of rhinoplasty which only comes with experience is how to use multiple grafts and create an esthetically pleasing and functional nose that will stand the test of time.  The more grafts that are used the higher the likelihood that there may be some shifting of those grafts over time.  The changes can be very subtle but I always discuss this with my revision rhinoplasty patients.  I spend a great deal of time fixing these grafts with the appropriate sutures and to not place too much physical stress on the grafts so that the grafts will not deform or shift over time.  I think that if you have chosen the right rhinoplasty surgeon then you will be pleased with the outcome of your revision surgery for many years and the small changes that may take place will be of no real significance to you.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Grafts in Revision Rhinoplasty

+1
Grafts used during revision rhinoplasty initially stay in be being sutured into position.  As the nose heals, the grafts become incorporated into the new nasal structure. It is very unusual for grafts to move after a revision rhinoplasty. 

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon