Is Thinning the Nose Necessary After Lifting It? (photo)

Two surgeons I consulted with said the same thing. I have a small hump and a droopy tip, I wanted the tip to be less droopy and hump to be straight. They said it isn't wise to just lift it, and that narrowing would be necessary as well. However, I'm scared because I like the natural look and narrow noses look so "done". Why did he say it wouldn't be wise to just lift it? Please help, I'm afraid of it looking unnatural.

Is Thinning the Nose Necessary After Lifting It

+1

There's nothing wrong with just rotating the nasal tip and reducing the dorsal hump if these create an aesthetic improvement.  There's no requirement to thin the nasasl tip cartilages further in order to accomplish those two goals during the Rhinoplasty.  In fact, I have often performed a limited procedure that rotates the nasal tip without requiring a Rhinoplasty however this would obviously not affect the nasal bump.  

Nasal improvement

+1

I think that the important thing to do is keep the nose in balance. Without an exam and better facial views, it is hard to say what would be best for you.

Balance. Harmony. Proportion.

+1

The key to rhinoplasty surgery is balancing the nose with the other structures of the face.  You want the nose to be proportionate to the other areas of your face or it will look unnatural.  The surgeons you have consulted may feel that in order for the nose to look natural some narrowing is required.  Ask to see a computer drawing to give you an idea of how the nose will appear.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Just Lifting the Tip

+1

Several techniques can be employed to lift the tip without reducing the size.  I offer suggestions after possible aesthetic concerns, but I have raised the tip without reducing it.