Thinning nose with small nostrils? (photos)

My nose width is disproportionate to my face. It looks rather ethnic but I am not of ethnic descent. I've been considering altering the alae of my nose (possibly alar base reduction) but I have realized that this may close up my nostrils, which seem very small compared to the alae of my nose, which curve inwards slightly. Can tissue be removed around the nostril openings before a base reduction and tiplasty to keep the nostrils open enough? Is it thick skin?

Thinning nose with small nostrils?

+1
   Tip refinement and columellar adjustment may help balance, but the alar base is not excessively wide.

Alar base reduction

+1
Even though you photos are limited, based on the shape of your alae I don't think you need alar base reduction. Your tip may benefit from a conservative refinement, and the medial crural footplate can benefit from slight narrowing. 

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Questions regarding alar contour

+1
  • Based on the photographs are shown I would not recommend trying to adjust the contour of your ala. Could result in further notching or contour irregularities that would be significantly more noticeable. I would recommend that you discussed your concerns with your board-certified plastic surgeon prior to committing to any surgical procedure

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon