Thinking of Having a Tummy Tuck

I am going to be 24 this May and I have 2 kids. I want to get a TT due to having wrinkly tummy, strch marks and I want my flat stomach again. I do have some strech marks like 1 or 2 inch above my bb. Will these ones come off also or how low would they go? Thanks

Tummy Tuck to remove excess skin

+2

Dear Jessica,

Depending on the severity of the stretch marks and skin laxity, tummy tuck might be a great option for your condition. There are different techniques for tummy tuck, but for the most part the procedure should help with excess skin above the belly button as well.

I would suggest though that before you make a decision about the procedure to seriously consider if you are planning on future pregnancies. The reason would be that any future pregnancy will disrupt any facial plication performed (the tightening of your abdominal wall using suture material).

If the skin laxity is mild to moderate, SmartLipo, or laser assisted liposuction, might be a good option. Recent studies showed improve skin retraction with SmartLipo as compared to conventional liposuction.

As always, I recommend to discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

K. Jacob Cohen-Kashi, New York plastic surgeon

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and removal of stretch marks

+2

Tummy tucks are excellent for removing stretch marks located below the belly button.

They are generally less effective for stretch marks located above the belly button.

An experienced board certified surgeon can tell you exactly what will go and what will stay.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tummy tuck and stretch marks

+1

One of the additional benefits of TT surgery is that once the skin has been removed, the stretch marks below the belly button are gone too! The stretch marks that are above the belly button are now lower on your abdomen and easier to conceal. I often hear my patients commenting on how happy they are with their flatter abdomen and fewer stretch marks!

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck and Stretch Marks

+1

I would not consider having a tummy tuck until you have finished having children.  If you get pregnant again it will re stretch your skin out.

The stretch marks above the belly button are often successfully removed.  It all will depend on how much excess skin you need to have taken off.  If it is quite a bit, your stretch marks most likely will be taken out.

J. Gregory Kjar, M.D.
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after 2 Children for Stretch Marks at age 24

+1

There are 2 underlying questions here.  One is age....while there is not really an age criteria for tummy tuck, the real criteria is whether you plan to have any more children. If you should opt for another baby in your future childbearing years, I would defer this type of surgery until you have made that decision.  The second is the "wrinkly" skin and stretch marks....depending on how much skin excess you have, usually most of the skin between the pubic area (where the scar will be) to above the belly button will be removed.   The remaining stretch marks you have above the belly button will be pulled down, so they will be repositioned on the lower abdomen.  Of course, a consultation with a thorough exam by your plastic surgeon will be able to confirm what the result can be expected for you. Good Luck!

Jana K. Rasmussen, MD

Thinking of a tummy tuck

+1

I can not promise all the stretch marks above the naval will be gone, but the ones below will be removed. During a tummy tuck excess skin and fat are removed and the abdominal wall can be reconstructed Go for it, but remember  another child will disturb results

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and removal of stretch marks.

+1

Depending on the laxness of your skin, most of the stretch marks below the belly button centrally will be removed. Some above it may also be removed. Those left will move down to just above the scar. They may also be less visible since the skin is stretched, occasionally making the stretch marks show less. See a Plastic Surgeon and discuss exactly what will happen with you.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

The stretch marks above the belly button will most likely stay but may have a small portion removed. But they would move downward so they would be less visible in a bikini.

David E. Kim, MD

Stretch marks above belly button - candidacy for tummy tuck ?

+1

Depending on the amount of skin laxity and length of your torso, the stretch marks above your belly button may be able to be removed. They will definitely be moved into a lower position. The significant improvement you achieve with a tummy tuck will likely eclipse any residual striae that you have after the operation. We are happy to see you in Bellevue WA for a consultation any time.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Stretch Marks & Tummy Tucks

+1

Tummy tucks (full) typically remove most of the skin from the umbilicus and inferiorly.  This the area where the majority of stretch marks are located.  The stretch marks which you describe above your belly button probably will not be removed unless you have more excess skin than usual.  They will, however, be moved to the area just above your pubis.

John Whitt, MD