Thinking of Rhinoplasty but I Need Direction?

Hi.im heavily considering plastic surgery.my nose is the most unappealing part of my face; its flat, wide,and undefined. I want results that smooth the tip of my nose and project it perhaps so that it isnt so flat. Any advice, procedures, costs, and names would be appreciated.

Hi There,

I just wanted to let you know that our site is useful when beginning your journey with any cosmetic procedure/treatment. I have included a link here that provides reviews by other community members that have gone through Rhinoplasty, as well as the average costs, doctor referrals, and a discussion forum. Please take a minute to browse; many members have found these stories and the information that we provide extremely helpful.

http://www.realself.com/Rhinoplasty/Nose-jo

What direction to take when considering rhinoplasty surgery

+1

You have already taken the first step.  I have a feeling this is something that has been bothering you for some time.  Cosmetic surgery can dramatically change the way you feel about yourself by bringing inline your internal sense of self with your external looks.  The first thing you should do is find a board certified surgeon who has a great deal of experience performing rhinoplasty -- then check sites like this one for feedback and ratings.  Next, schedule a consultation.  Keep in mind, it is common practice for a good surgeon to charge a couple hundred dollars for the consultation, so don't be alarmed if that's the case (generally the consultation fee is deducted from the final surgery fee).  Most surgeons today use computer imaging software to give you a visual idea of how the expected post-surgery results may appear. Make sure your surgeon has the most up to date software to provide as accurate a picture as possible. Ask to see before and after examples, including the digital image to get an idea of what to expect.

A good surgeon is able to add projection to the nose, specifically the nasal tip.  He or she will most likely advance your natural cartilage to make the nose appear more narrow. They may also use what is called a shield graft, to give the tip more projection and definition.  There are many ways to approach an issue like yours, and of course no two cases are identical. So take this as directional. The bottom line is, it sounds like you have a very correctable situation and should be delighted with the results.

As for cost, it varies considerably from market-to-market and doctor-to-doctor.  For primary rhinoplasty, I charge between $10,000-$15,000 depending on the individual circumstances of the patient.  As an option, my associate (who I trained) Dr.Yoo, performs the same surgery for between $7,000-$10,000 (he is excellent).

I hope this starts to answer your questions so you can continue to explore corrective surgery. Please keep me posted.

Deciding on Surgery

+1

Rhinoplasty is a fantastic procedure to reshape the nose and to help improve the overall appearance of the face. It is very important that you seek the advice of an experienced surgeon whom you feel comfortable with. Be sure to express your expectations fully during a consultation and be sure to always address any concerns or reservations you may have. For my patients, we can use a digital imaging program to help visualize what the results may look like after surgery. I find this helps my patients feel more confident and comfortable when making his or her decision. In my experience, one of the best ways to find a surgeon is through word of mouth. Talk to people who have had the surgery and use his or her experiences as your starting point in making a decision.

Frank Lista, MD

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and IMHO, the best thing for you to do is to learn how the nose looks best aesthetically.  This will guide you in the selection of your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.  Technical skill alone is simply not enough.  The Rhinoplasty Surgeon, you select, must understand and follow the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.

How To Knows About Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Rocko,

To obtain commendable results you have to choose a capable surgeon for the job.

In other words, I recommend that you seek consultations with board certified surgeons of extensive experience in the field to make sure that you will well advised so you can make a well informed decision.

As for now, without photos and examination I cannot provide you with a solid solution to your case but it seems that you could benefit from a multifaceted conservative approach meeting your goal.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Considering a rhinoplasty?

+1

Great rhinoplasty results start with a great surgeon.  Make sure that they are board certified in Facial Plastic Surgery or General Plastic Surgery and ideally specialize in rhinoplasty.  A good place to start is with the American Rhinologic Society, see link below.  Surgeons that are a member of this society have a specific interest in nasal disorders and surgery.  Depending upon your area, expect to pay between $5000-$10,000.  

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Education about Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

The most difficult part of rhinoplasty surgery for a patient is educating themselves about the procedure and selecting an experienced specialist. There is a lot of information on the internet about nasal surgery. Consult with surgeons who specialize in this operation, will explain your alternatives, helps establish reasonable goals, and are willing to show you multiple examples of results in patients who had noses like yours.

How to investigage rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is a very individualized operation, and the definitions of success vary with each patient and surgeon's personal esthetics.

Consult a few experienced surgeons, either in person or online, and get an idea of what each thinks is possible and attractive in your case.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Direction

+1

The best advice that I can give you is to see three Cosmetic Surgeons who are rhinoplasty surgeons with excellent reputations.  You will find a physician that will make the communication connection with you.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recommendations For a Great Rhinoplasty Result

+1

It certainly sounds from your description that these changes could be made to make your nose more to your liking. Look for a surgeon with a lot of rhinoplasty experience (technically, rhinoplasties are the most difficult procedure we do and have the highest revision rate by far). Interview multiple surgeons. Look at their photos and ask to talk to some of their patients. Ultimately you will find the person who fits what you need best. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty definition.

+1

Get an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to give you his opinion after examining your nose and finding out your goals.