Silicone vs. Saline - Which is Safer?

I am 5'3 108 lbs and very active. I previously breastfed and brougth me down a cup size. I do not want to be very big but just enough back to fit into my clothes again.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Both are FDA approved and safe, silicone is probably more durable in the longterm but saline is cheaper and if it breaks you will know immeduaetly 

Silicone Saline Breast Implants

+1

Both are safe; they are just different.  I use both silicone and saline implants. Silicone gel implants look more natural and feel softer with less chance of visible wrinkling.  Studies show sili- cone implants do not increase the incidence of disease or the chances of developing breast or other cancers. The FDA recommends MRI scans to follow gel implants postop. Saline implants, on the other hand, are less expensive. I can insert a saline implant through a smaller incision and can more easily adjust for minor size discrepancies between each breast during surgery. Implants come in various shapes. About 99 percent of the time, I insert a standard round implant. Discuss the pros and cons of each shape with your surgeon.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Saline or silicone?

+1

The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

Hope this helps.

Saline versus silicone implants.

+1

Saline implants are filled with saline water and deflate when ruptured. Silicone “memory gel” implants are pre-filled with silicone and will not leak if ruptured however you will need an MRI if you feel they are ruptured. Silicone are often more natural looking and feel more natural. Saline could also look very natural depending on your natural breast shape and amount of breast tissue. Both are offered in 3 different widths and projections.

Saline vs. Silicone?

+1

The decision of whether or not to use saline or silicone gel implants is really a personal decision.  Gel implants are definitely softer and may potentially lead to a more natural look and feel but there are many women that are equally as happy with their results using saline implants. 

As for safety, they are both equally as safe although recent MENTOR studies have shown greater durability in the silicone gel implants as compared to their saline counterparts. 

In the end, it is really a personal decision that you will need to make but, rest assured, they are both safe choices.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Silicone vs saline

+1

The choice between silicone implants versus saline implants is really a personal choice. They are both excellent implants.