Thinking about 300cc silicone mod + implants. Which is best, over or under? (Photo)

See above

Implant Selection

I always recommend under the muscle if possible because it is safer and looks more natural.   In terms of sizing,  It is much better to accurately discuss implant volume and projection with an in office exam and detailed measurements.

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements/characteristics. I use these measurements to help me during the sizing process to guide you to a safe result for your chest wall and just as important, one that meets your end desires.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor. The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant. It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you during the sizing process.

In addition, review of photos and use of rice bags can be very helpful to the patient and surgeon in achieving a safe and happy result. Close intereaction and involvement from your surgeon during this process can help alleviate the anxiety and fears of choosing the right size.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

9200 Pinecroft
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Implant position

Most breast implants are placed under the muscle.There are advantages to placing them under the muscle ie;less incidence of capsular contracture , rippling , considered more natural . It is important that you discuss this with your plastic surgeon who can advise you on your best option.

Joanne Lopes, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

5121 Greenwich Rd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23462

Submuscular Breast Augmentation

I would recommend the implant be placed under the muscle.  It is the most common position for a breast implant to be placed.  It will be a more natural result and you will have less likelihood of rippling.  

Joseph C. Berardi, MD

11000 North Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

My vote is under the muscle placement as the preferred option. But ONLY in person opinions should count..// 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Above or below

Thank you for your picture. Based on the picture you have very been tissue in your upper breast. In this case I would recommend that the implant  be placed beneath the muscle. This will give you a smoother transition to the edges of the implant in the upper part of your breast.

Seek consultation was several board-certified plastic surgeons.

Earl Stephenson Junior MD DDS FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

Over or under muscle?

I recommend you have your implants placed in the sub muscular pocket. Your augmented breasts will appear more natural, have a reduced chance of visible rippling, have better long term support and a smaller incidence of capsular contracture.

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

1219 East Ave South
Sarasota, FL 34239

Implants above or below the muscle

Thank you for the question.  In my practice, most of my patients are submuscular, especially if they are thin.  I believe under the muscle provides with a more smooth appearance in the upper pole of the breast.  Also, long term, I think there is sometimes less ptosis (droopiness).

Hope this helps!

Joseph W. Aguiar, MD

12015 Whitmarsh Lane
Tampa, FL 33626

Thinking about 300cc. Which is best over or under

It would be helpful if we knew your height and weight. The actual volume of a breast implant depends on several things. It has to fit your overall body size, the dimensions of your chest, and supply the volume necessary to create the size and shape you desire. Assuming you are of average height around 5"6" tall you would be in the range of 325 to 375cc for an average breast augmentation, and keep in mind that is a guess based on a photo and physical exam would be necessary to be sure. Since you have mentioned 300cc it most likely means you are concerned someone will make you too big. If you communicate well with your surgeon that will not happen but I caution you about limiting the surgeon to only certain volumes since, in their judgement, you might have an aesthetic issue with a small implant. Keep in mind that implants once in place have a certain base width and if the base width of the implants are too small, the implants will look too far apart.  While 300cc might work in you, I would reserve judgement until you have visited with your surgeon and seen photos of girls your height and weight and with similar chest dimensions.Also keep in mind you do not have to have an incision on your breast anymore to have a breast augmentation since it can be done endoscopically under the arm . While there is an approach through the belly button as well, that approach can only place saline and it is not really endoscopic since the scope is only used to find the muscle and then the pocket is created by tearing the muscle off the chest wall with blunt technique. The true endoscopic technique uses a scope under the arm and allows full visualization of the muscle and thus a very precise surgery. So, keep in mind that as long as your silicone gel implant is under 400cc it can be placed endoscopically and there is no need to have scar on the breast. Both under the muscle and over the muscle can be done this way and usually under the muscle is best since it provides more coverage for the implant and has a lower rate of capsular contracture. I use over the muscle (subfascial) only in cases where the patient has loose droopy skin and it helps me give the breast some lift without a mastopexy incision. 
And last but not least, please do not bargain with your body. You get what you pay for in plastic surgery like in everything else. Follow the credentials not the crowd. Choose experience over inexpensive. Also safety is paramount. I would recommend having your anesthesia done by a doctor (anethesiologist, MD)  in a real hospital operating room which is as safe as you can get.

Grady B. Core, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

2100 16th Ave. South
Birmingham, AL 35205

There are pros and cons to each.  It depends on your preferences and type of physical activities you do.  See a BC PS in your area to discuss your options.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

199 Avenue Road
Toronto, ON M5R 2J3

Over or Under

Given that you are very thin I would suggest going under the muscle to have more coverage of the implant especially at the top to have a more natural look

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

214 Sullivan St
New York, NY 10012