Is Having Thin Skin an Advantage or a Disadvantage During a Rhinoplasty and Mostly After?

Does it mean the recovery from the swelling will be sooner ? Or thickness is not important ? Also I don't want to change anything in my nose , I only want to make it straight as it was , so I don't want any tip work . Does it mean that the swelling in the tip won't be that much ? Because I'm hearing a lot of "swelled hard rigid tip" even 5 months after the surgery . Is it because they have done something to their tip , maybe lift it ? or this happens to all patients no matter what ?

Pros and cons of thin skin with rhinoplasty

+1

Thin skin is both a blessing and a curse.  It is a blessing in that it heals much faster than thick skin after the rhinoplasty procedure.  The curse is that every little nuance and irregularity tends to show through thin skin, which can lead to a higher touchup rate with minor asymmetries along the nasal bridge.  Full healing on the nose takes a year and indeed the tip does stay hard, woody, and swollen for several months after a rhinoplasty procedure.  Thick-skinned individuals require multiple cortisone injections in the supratip area of the nose, while thin-skinned individuals rarely ever require this.

Is Thin Skin an Advantage or Disadvantage With a Rhinoplasty

+1

There are advantages and disadvantages of thin skin kin rhinoplasty surgery. Better definition and refinement can be achieved with thin skin and post op healing is quicker. However, every irregularity and minor defect or asymmetry of the underlying structures will be visible. I do enjoy the challenge of operating on a thin skinned patient.

Swelling

+1

Tip swelling occurs if the tip is operated on. Firmness and numbness can last for months. Generally, thin skin is an advantage but, mostly for the nasal tip.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

YES!

+1

Yes, thin skin is BOTH an advantage and a disadvantage! You will have less swelling and look better sooner than someone with thick skin. The disadvantage is you may be a higher risk of bossa (cartilage irregularity) formation in the long term. Your surgeon needs to be very careful to avoid any rough edges and it is very important for you to maintain followup with your surgeon for several years following your procedure.

J. Charles Finn, MD
Raleigh-Durham Facial Plastic Surgeon