Very Thin Silicone Implant on Bridge?

I am not like other asian patients who would like to augment their bridges really high. Mine is actually high and even surgeons say it's unnecessary. Had tip plasty 2x and wasn't satisfied. I realised it's because my bridge's undone. I was reconsidering implant, but something that won't cause my skin to really stretch. Will my nose still appear shiny in spite of it being very thin? WIll it last me a lifetime, say 20 or even 50 years? Is it in the thickness? I don't want cartilage on my bridge.

Silicone Implant Rhinoplasty

+2

Silicone implants on the nasal bridge can have long-term success provided they are not too big and don't stretch the skin too much. It is still a foreign body that forms a capsule and the greatest care with its use is in thin-skinned noses. If you are going to get a silicone implant you are wise to take the approach of 'not having your skin really stretched'.

Silicone implant for nasal bridge

+2

There are no guarantees with surgery and especially when using a synthetic implant.  Some patients have them a lifetime, and others need them removed.  I prefer to use cartilage for augmentation for the nose.

Silicone Implant on Nasal Bridge

+2

You are smart to be conservative in augmenting your nasal bridge. You have been clear in stating that you don't want cartilage in your bridge but this approach would give you the best chance for a permanent solution. There is always a risk of movement or extrusion with silicone implants. Over the past 35 years I've never seen this happen with cartilage.

Nasal bridge implant

+2

Photos of your nose would be needed to accurately answer your questions.  Have used many silicone bridge implants and these can be carved or shaved, but are still foreign material that has risks with thin skin.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Nasal implants

+2

In my experience silicone nasal implants are fraught with problems and complications, cartilage grafts are the best method for dorsal nasal augmentation because they are from your body rather than a foreign object.  

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Using a silicone implant to augment the nasal dorsum

+1

When augmenting the nasal dorsum, I find that implants are not the best option. Using filler is a possibility. There are some risks from attempting to modify the appearance of the nose using filler, which is also known as a non-surgical rhinoplasty.  The most serious side effect is necrosis, or death of the skin.

In general, filler may do the following for the nose:

1) Mildly lift a drooping tip
2) Augmentation of the nasal dorsum  

Only a small amount of filler may be used, and it must be injected slowly to limit the above risks.  If you decided to seek this type of treatment, I would recommend seeing a surgeon who is comfortable with these injections.

A silicone implant will last a lifetime.  It does not re-absorb overtime.  Any time you place an implant, the skin will stretch to some amount.  It has to stretch in order to make room for the implant, but this does not mean it will appear unnatural. 

Another great surgical option for augmentation of the nasal dorsum is using diced cartilage and wrapping it in deep temporalis fascia, which may be harvested from the scalp.  This can produce a natural result that is readily accepted by the body.  Thanks and I hope this helps!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

I understand you don't want a high bridge because yours already is, but I've seen many complications from nasal implants and prefer to use one's own tissue for any augmentation.  It's hard to say what you will need without a proper evaluation to obtain the results you seek.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD