I Really Need to Do Something with my Thin Face but Don't Really Know my Options.

I have a very thin face and I'm tired of people telling me I'd be pretty if I had a fat face. I don't know why it's like that, my face use to be fat and I haven't lost weight... I look like a skeleton! What can I do to change the lower part of my face? I don't want cheek implants because I think it look's too fake...I want something that will last and look natural not an over puffed face like some celebrities we see today.

Options for Correction of a Thin Face

+2

When I see a patient, one of the first things I look at is the balance of the face.  Is one area out of proportion to another?  This is important because it tells me where to focus our energy to achieve a pleasing result.  In your photo, it is the lower face that is out of proportion, specifically your jawline.  Cheek implants, would make this disproportion look worse.

Where you want to concentrate is in options for enhancing the jawline.  Your two basic options are an implant and filler.  Filler would be the safest and easiest option.  It is also possible with filler to make gradual additions so the change is not so dramatic.  Radiesse is probably your best bet.  The correction is long-lasting and it can be placed alongside the bone.

My only other suggestion would be to consider correction of the lower eyelid.  While not specifically your concern, at least in your photo, it contributes to your 'skeletonized' appearance.

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restoring volume to a thin face

+1

Hi,

You have a beautiful face and I would definitely take what your “friends” are telling you with a grain of salt.  If you are looking for a change because of what others are saying, then I would recommend against doing anything because you really have lovely features. As to why your face doesn’t look as full as it used to, it’s because as we age, we naturally lose volume. We tend to deflate and parts of our face start to slowly sag.

If you truly are personally bothered by a lack of volume in your face, I would recommend Sculptra as the product that will give you a natural and longer lasting result. It does take a few sessions, with 4-6 weeks in between sessions. The results are gradual and are the most natural looking. I agree with you that an implant will look unnatural. As with any injectable, your choice of injector is more important that the product itself, so choose your injecting physician very carefully.

Hope this helps!

Dr.Sunder

Sarmela Sunder, MD

What to do about a thin face

+1

First of all, you should only do an elective cosmetic procedure if YOU want it.  Don't just rely on what other people tell you that you need.  That said, the easiest and very effective way to enhance volume in your face would be the use of Sculptra Aesthetic injected under your skin.  This is a quick office based procedure which may need to be repeated 2 to 3 times over sever weeks to months to achieve the best results.  

Good Luck.  

David Shafer, MD

Thin face

+1

First of all, you are beautiful as you are. If you want more fullness to the mid to lower face,I would do a very controlled Radiesse injection that should lasr over a year.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Lower eyelid shadow

+1

As a plastic surgeon I can honestly tell you those people have no idea what they are talking about. Some thinning of the facial soft tissue is part of the aging process independent of weight loss or gain. Under no circumstance should you get plastic surgery to make people say or think something differently when they see you. That is a very bad way to gauge results after surgery and poses a danger for you getting too much plastic surgery. It is hard to tell from this photo which is slightly out of focus but the only thing I could see that would be worth addressing (in terms of risk benefit ratio) are the under eye bags/shadowing.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Need to Do Something with my Thin Face

+1

In my opinion you have a beautiful face which requires some facial filling. The areas which could should be filled is the Tear Trough areas (where 1-2 syringes of Restylane placed deep near the bone) will completely transform your eyes by filling these depressions and the cheek areas under the cheek bones (where either Radiesse or Perlane) could nicely fill the areas making them much more attractive. No other procedures would be required. Pick an experienced Plastic surgeon to do these procedures.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

First, you are beautiful so proceed with caution.

+1

Dear Sylable

Please don't be victimized by the casual comments of your frienemies.  This type of stray comments can be very destructive to one's self esteem.  I share your concern with facial implants.  I actually thing your chin volume is fine.  I personally do not like Radiesse as a product.  First, it does not last as long as the manufacture claims.  Secondly it cannot be adjusted like products like Perlaine and Restylane.  Doctors like Radiesse because they can get a significant price break on large orders of Radiesse so more profit.  Please do not underestimate the value of being able to adjust a filler product.

I think the most important service for you to start with in under eye filling.  Please recognize that these services are facial sculpting and requires actual talent on the part of the injector.  So not everyone can do this service.  Please look for a very experienced injector for these services.