Thigh Smart Lipo, 1+ Year Post Op and Have Bumps/Lumps/Bruising? (photo)

I had a thigh Smart Lipo in December 2011.It's been over a year and I still have bumps and lumps and bruises! The doctor said that it would get better by time but it never did.The bumpy areas have a weird sensation and often feel as if they are badly bruised.I am really scared that i'll never look normal again. Is it going to get better?do I have to undergo a revision lipo procedure?would exercise help?(my doctor said that exercise won't help) I am only 25 and this is terrifying. Please help.

It is important to recognize the risks of SmartLipo

+2

I do not do SmartLipo, and this is the reason.

The technique causes damage to the tissues with laser energy. If one comes close to the surface it is particularly dangerous. Revision surgery can be done, and may need fat grafting, but it is difficult because of the scarring that is present. It requires a careful persistent technique and may need several sessions. I would only use regular liposuction for revision.

Good Luck.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

#post-liposuction defects

+2

surface irregularities, abnormal sensations and significant asymmetries are rather commonly seen after SmartLipo. I have seen and treated a lot of these defects after SmartLipo performed in inexperienced hands. this will require revision. and most likely more than 1 surgeries to make it look at least normal. my best advice to you would be to look for someone in your area who can truly help u and is experienced in that as well. Im very sorry that it happened to you

One year post op

+2

You need to have a consultation with a qualified cosmetic surgeon to assess the areas. It's challenging to assess someone via photo and there could be many reasons for some of your symptoms.  The lumpiness is sometimes a side effect of the lipo and can clear up over time.  There are some non-surgical procedure which will help to break down these hardened areas of residual fat.  The deep bruising and loss of sensation needs to be investigated and a solution made with your plastic surgeon.

if you do not feel comfortable returning for a revision and consultation with your current practitioner, seek a board certified surgeon who has experience with revision work.  Have a full consultation and ensure all of your questions are answered and you feel at ease with the doctor.

good luck with your procedures.

Results after 1 year

+1

Your results need to be seen by your surgeon, a follow up appointment is best. 1 year post procedure you should no longer have bruising, but you may also need a touch up procedure to even out the skin.

Thigh Smart Lipo, 1+ Year Post Op and Have Bumps/Lumps/Bruising?

+1

Fat grafting with additional liposuction to help even the areas can help with the lumpiness.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs HUNDREDS of liposuction procedures each year.  Look at the surgeon's website before and after photos to determine who will get you to your goals.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Liposuction.php

+1

Wow 1 years post operative. Sorry for the poor result. I might try Thermigen RF therapies to help eliminate the bumpy and valleys with fat grafting. 

Smart lipo and irregularities

+1

Sorry, but at one year it is likely not to get much better after this. You  may need to go for consultation for possible revision. You may  need fat grafting in some areas, hard to say without an exam.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.