How Long After Tummy Tuck and Lipo Can I Have Thigh Reduction?

I just had Tummy Tuck 7 weeks ago and would like to have thigh reduction. I've had a bad time coming out so I'm not so keen to go through that again. Should I wait a certain time after my Tummy tuck? I also have had liposuction. Thanks

Wait 3 months for thigh reduction after tummy tuck and lipo

+2

Your tummy tuck probably partially corrected some of the skin laxity that you may have in your thighs- especially if a high lateral abdominoplasty technique was done. Its reasonable to wait 3 months. That interval of time will allow you to heal, allow any pelvic edema to resolve and allow for relaxation of any thigh tissue tightening you might have gotten from the tummy tuck. Make sure your surgeon provides good DVT prophylaxis measures during your thigh lift- it will be your second major pelvic/trunk procedure in a three month interval--so you're at high risk for VTE.

Give Enough Time to Heal Between Proceedures

+1

Congratulations on undergoing a tummy tuck. You stated you had a bad time coming out of your Tummy Tuck.  I assume this was waking up from the anesthetic.  If it is not, then please disregard this comment.  I would also ask where the liposuction had been done.  If the liposuction was on your abdomen, then this comment should be relevant.

I would wait at minimum 6 weeks between your tummy tuck and thigh reduction.  It takes a moderate amount of time for the blood to rebuild in your system and if there were any issues after your first surgery, I would wait longer.  Typically, there is no urgency to have a thigh reduction surgery so the thigh reduction can wait. 

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Web reference: http://timothykatzenmd.com/body/thigh-lift/

Time between procedures- Tummy Tuck and Thigh Reduction

+1

This questions should be answered by your board certified plastic surgeon. In the case of a healthy patient, I typically require a 6 month healing period between procedures. Best of luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Depends upon how you are healing......

+1

There is no set time here. It depends upon how you are healing and the nature of the planned operation. I have done these five weeks apart and been OK.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Thigh Lifts

+1

After massive weight loss, there is excess skin in the abdomen thighs and buttocks.

To do all these tightening procedures is really a lower body lift. it can be done in stages, Before embarking on the next stage you should be completely healed and satisfied. A waiting peroid of at least 6 weeks is safe.

ABDOMINOPLASTY, tightens the abdominal muscles, and removes the excess, lax skin of the upper and lower abdomen. The procedure includes liposuction of excess fat in the upper abdomen, waist line and hips.

OUTER THIGH LIFT

The abdominoplasty incision can be extended over the hips to the buttocks will remove lax skin over the thighs and buttocks, thus lifting the buttocks and the lateral thighs.

MEDIAL THIGH LIFT

Medial thigh or inner thigh lift is done through an incision placed high in the groin crease, well hidden by bikini or underwear. Excess skin is removed and the inner thigh is lifted and tightened.

Thigh reduction after tummy tuck and lipo

+1

THIGH REDUCTION can be understood as meaning
- Circumferential Liposuction of the thigh to reduce their bulk
- Medial Thigh Lift
- Outer - Lateral Thigh Lift.

Practically speaking, you would want any tissue swelling to have settled down and for the scarring process to be mature if you wanted any surgery on an area close to on impinging on the operative site of the Tummy Tuck / Liposuction.

If your thigh are really full of fat and your surgeon felt that it would be best if you had circumferential liposuction as a first (staged) step BEFORE either a Lateral or Medial thigh lift was done - such a procedure could be done as early as 2 months after your Tummy Tuck. But - if you wanted a Thigh lift, I would prefer to wait 6-8 months before doing them to get the best picture of where things really are and a normal tissue to work with which, in turn would get you the best healing.

Good Luck.

6-8 months

+1

I assume since you didn't have these procedures together than you are referring to a medial thigh lift. A tummy tuck and medial thigh lift should not be done together as there are issues with blood supply and this can result in significant wound breakdown or worse.

I would recommend waiting 6-8 months to make sure the blood supply has reestablished itself. If you're talking about the lateral thighs I would only recommend about 3 months.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon