Thigh Liposuction- Would a Pre-pregnancy Procedure Prevent Localized Weight Gain?

I've always been slim, but tend to gain weight disproportionately in my lower body- and I've been considering liposuction for my saddlebags/inner and outer thighs/knees. However, I plan to become pregnant in 1-2 years. Would the results from lipo prevent weight gain to the treated areas during pregnancy? Or would it be more beneficial to wait until after a pregnancy? Thank you!

Liposuction results

+1

Decreasing localized fat deposits through lipo will theoretically lessen the disproportionate increase of fat if you gain weight.  In reality however, if you gain weight, you gain fat in many areas of your body including those suctioned previously.  Remenber lipo is for sculpting contour, not weight loss.  I hope this info helps.

Pre-pregnancy liposuction can help prevent fat accumulation in the areas that have a tendency to enlarge.

+1

Getting rid of the fat by liposuction does make it harder to put on fat in the areas that you have a tendency to enlarge.  Liposuction will help so you can look better now and helps patients become more confident if they have problem areas that bother them.  If later you become pregnant, then you probably won't get as big in those same areas.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/drdavidhansen/landing/

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction is not a weight prevention procedure.

+1

Your question is not that uncommon. Liposuction is still the best option for local reduction of excess fat and for improving the contours of your thighs. However, liposuction will not change your biology and will not change your likelihood of gaining inches during pregnancy. Therefore, do not have surgery in hopes of avoiding a family trait or shape change down the road.

If you are bothered by your thigh shape and are already fit, then having a consultation to see what shape improvements are possible now is up to you. You can then evaluate if you want to enjoy the shape improvements now or wait until you have completed your family to consider body contouring procedures.

Dr. Mosher

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

+1

Very hard to advise, especially if you are waiting 2 years before pregnancy. I recommend look good now. 

Liposuction results are permanent, even after pregnancy.

+1

Hi.

1)  I can think of about six patients in the last  few years who had liposuction of the thighs and knees, and then got pregnant.  Of course they all gained quite a bit of weight, and after wards, some lost all the weight and others did not.  But in all these women,  the SHAPE correction (no saddlebags, etc.) was maintained both during and after pregnancy.  The long term results (again, I am talking about shape and balance, not weight) have been impressive.
2)  So you can have your liposuction now or after you have recovered from your pregnancy.  Both are fine.

Weight gain after liposuction

+1

Dear Iris,

Liposuction can be helpful to contour your thighs, unfortunately it does not prevent weight gain in the treated areas. Pregnancy can be unpredictable as to how much weight you will gain and where.

If you are willing to take that chance and enjoy your post liposuction body in the meantime, talk to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can help you achieve your goals.

Best of luck

Web reference: http://www.drkhuthaila.com

Weight gain after liposuction

+1

The only thing liposuction can do is to statically contour the body by removing fat at a specific moment in time. All bets are off if you gain or lose significant weight after the procedure. Therefore, the ideal time to consider liposuction is when you are at your healthiest and most stable lifestyle, including pregnancy and breast-feeding. The other thing you have to consider in regards to timing is how much advantage or pleasure the procedure will give you for a given amount of time. That is, is having the figure you want for the time period before your body changes with pregnancy worth the time and money involved? 

Robin T.W. Yuan. M.D.

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure

+1

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure.  Rather it is a body contouring procedure and changes the distribution of fat on your body.  So, if you have liposuction and then gain weight later, you will gain weight disproportionately when compared to your pre-lipo proportions.  So, if you gain weight during pregnancy, less fat will go to these areas.  I hope this is helpful.

Good Luck

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com