Thigh Lift then Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation 2 Days Later?

I am a female who has had a gastric bypass 4 years ago. My weight is stable and I'm in good health. Due to excess skin, I am having thigh lift surgery on January 4, 2010 and then a tummy tuck and breast augmentation on January 6, 2010. I can only take off 3 1/2 weeks total from work, which is the reason why I discussed with my doctor about having them so close together. Can this be done in a safe manner? I will be put under general anesthesia for both. Does it give enough time, given the anesthesia concerns and possible blood clots?

Major surgeries separated by 2 days

+4

A thigh lift is a major surgery and a tummy tuck and breast augmentation are also. Because these procedures are not done by non-plastic surgeons, I must assume that you are going to a Board Certified plastic surgeon.

With all due respect to them and granted that I don't know you or your situation anymore than from this question, I will go head and say that in my opinion this is a very dangerous proposition. The life-threatening risk you face is from blood clots in the veins and this is dramatically increased by the plan you propose. I personally would absolutely never never never consider this and if you do go ahead and survive unscathed, a bit of luck will be involved.

Multiple surgeries in close succession are risky

+3

As my colleagues have indicated, big surgeries carry big risks, especially when they are done at one time or in very close succcession. What is close succession? I don't think anybody know that answer for sure. Who is going to do that risky study?

If you are contemplating surgeries so close to each other, it may be wise to consider either extending the distance between surgeries, or getting an ultrasound of your deep veins after the first and second surgeries to make sure that no early clots have formed.

Remember, don't have a major complication or worse just as a matter of convenience for your schedule.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Combination procedures - thighs, abdomen, and breasts

+2

In healthy individuals, combination procedures are safe. A thigh lift, abdominoplasty, and breast augmentation can be safely combined in one single procedure. This provides a single recovery period and a decreased total procedure cost. Most recommend that the procedure does not take longer than 6 hours, is performed at a certified facility, and done by a certified plastic surgeon.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck, Thigh Lift and Breast Augmentatio After Gastric Bypass

+2

So what this boils down to is that you're having a two-stage body lift and a breast augmentation. I honestly don't see any point to doing these surgeries on two separate days so close together.

A breast augmentation is an hour procedure and most surgeons who routinely do body lifts can complete them in 5-6 hours. This is only a total of 6-7 hours of surgery which is safe as long as you don't have any significant heal issues.

I recommend having them done together and not interrupt your recovery with another surgery. In addition it will be cheaper from an OR/anesthesia standpoint.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Stage the thigh lift, tummy tuck, and breast augmentation

+2

This is a 'What If' question. If in operation 1 your Plastic Surgeon can do at least the tummy and breasts, then if your blood count is too low, the thighs can be done in a few months to the next holiday break you have. Safety is the number 1 concern. Just be careful Good Luck!

Safety and timing of multiple plastic surgery procedures

+2

I frequently perform combined procedures for body contouring ,and abdominoplasty (or lower body lift) and breast surgery (augmentation with or without a lift) are a common combination. I believe that it would actually be safer to include the thigh lift with your tummy tuck and breast augmentation than to separate the procedures by only two days. This very short period would seem to offer no advantage in terms of your safety or comfort. Make sure that your surgeon plans to use pneumatic hose and a post operative blood thinner such as Lovenox or Arixtra to help reduce the risk of a blood clot.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Staging plastic surgery procedures

+2

You have heard the advise of many Board Certified Plastic Surgeons.

There are many issues to be considered.

Your nutritional status and healing capability, anemia? Vitamin difficencies? Albumen level? The risk of blood clots?

Staging a procedure only two days apart is not enough to heal, is not enough time to overcome the risk of blood clots from the first surgery. It takes 6 weeks to be back to normal after surgery and thee risk of blood clots.

We all combine procedures and that can be safely performed. staging as well should be appropriate. You are embarking on a journey to achieve what you want. Then give your self the time to heal from each stage.

Combination surgery can be safe

+2

I routinely combine lower body lifts with either breast lifts or thigh surgery. My philosophy is that one downtime, one exposure to anesthesia, and one time off work is the better and safer option.

That being said, I also work with a very efficient and experienced team at a fully equipped hospital. We routinely accomplish the procedures in 5-7 hours, and we are compulsive about minimizing blood loss, keeping our patients warm, and ending the surgery early in case there are any concerns.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Thigh lift followed by breast augmentation and tummy tuck 2 days later is too much

+2

I think doing all that surgery together or as you have mentioned two days apart is too much. Decide what you want first then come back even if its next year when you have more time.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Multiple surgeries within 48 hours is risky

+2

Hello

It is not so much the fact that you will have anesthesia twice in close succession, but the magnitude of the procedures is what concerns me. Having a thigh lift is a big deal and you may have drains put in. You may also be less mobile and then having a tummy tuck and breast augmentation within 48 hours will really set you back. If you were my patient I would counsel you against having all those procedures. If you only have 3 1/2 weeks, pick what bothers you most and stick to that.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon