Problems with Thigh Lift Scar Placement and Healing

I am 16 days post op from what was supposed to have been full body lipo with massive debulking of my thighs and inner thigh lift with short scar. I am very upset with the outcome of my surgery.

My incision appears to be so close to my labia that it has literally reduced the size of the lower section of my left labia. Is this normal? I have reviewed illustrations on line of where the incisions should have been and I see space in the illustrations between the incision and the labia -- with mine, there is literally NO space (and in fact appears to have encroached on the left one to the point of reduction).

The scar is also so raised and bulbous, how is it ever going to flatten out with all of this height to it? The end of one of the incisions came undone and there appears to be exposed tissue. The doctor told me not to worry, that it would heal over?

Medial Thigh Lift

+2

The incision for the medial Thigh lift is put in the grion crease, therefore it comes close to the labia majora.

After excision of excess skin, the skin mut be suspended to the deep fascia and even to the periostium of the pubic bone. About three such sutures are needed. This maneuver makes the incision very close to the labia, and the labia looks fuller and plump. The incision is always raised initially and irregular, it will flatten with time, about 6-12 weeks.

This suspension of the skin prevents migration of the scar down where it becomes visible, and may pull on the labia giving an open labia which is painful and unsightly.

Give it time

Pictures will help to give you better advise.

Medial thigh lifts can be tricky procedures

+2

The key for proper re-suspension of the medial thigh flap relies on suspending the flap to the deeper, tough connective tissue of the pelvis. It sounds like you might have the skin flap sewn too close to the labia. This results in traction and splaying of the labia. Your thigh tissues should not be sewn directly to your labia. There should be a couple of centimeters of undisturbed thigh skin between the skin flap and your labia. Return to your board certified plastic surgeon and have him/her take a look.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Bad thigh lift scars.

+1

These are matters which are nearly impossible to review over email. It is difficult to offer advice without a consultation. Being unable to change the past, I can say that it is essential that you have a clear understanding prior to surgery and review the credentials of your surgeon. IF you did this, I assume you are in the hands of a professional and, to some degree, you should trust his/her judgement and advice.