Will Laser Lipo Help Smooth Ripples Left After Thigh Lift?

I had a thigh lift, inner, outer, a year ago. I have ripples on both upper thighs. Would laser lipo or liposculpture smooth and thighten this loose skin on my upper thighs?

Liposuction after thigh lift for ripples

although there is a chance that liposuction may smoothen out the ripples, it might not provide a very homogenous result and scattered depressions might need to be filled by fat injections. Depending on the depth of ripples, there might be improvement with Velashape, but it may not be permanent.  Thermage external radiofrequency may provide some improvement also.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser lipo to smooth ripples

Irregularities of the skin are difficult to correct. It is unlikely that the laser lipo will help.

With Kind Regards.

Trevor M. Born, MD

Laser Lipo help smooth ripples after thigh lift

I do Slim Lipo and there is definitely skin tightening 3-6 months after this procedure. The tightening occurs becuase the laser energy that is imparted to the tissues causes shrinkage of the collagen fibers. The question is whether or not it will work in your case with ripples that are the result of skin laxity and excess skin. It may require multiple treatments in order to obtain the best results.

Another adjunct to skin tightening is this area would be non-ablative 1540 laser. If the present situation bothers you it may be worth a try to improve the appearance of your thighs. If you have residual fatty tissue I would recommend a combination of Body Jet and Slim Lipo for optimal results.

Rippling after thigh lift

Rippling may only get worse if you undergo liposuction. It will not tighten the skin significantly.

Liposuction and/or fat transfer can help improve "ripples" after a thigh lift

Liposuction and/or fat transfer can help improve "ripples" after a thigh lift. Liposuction tightens the skin while smoothing irregularities. Using liposuction first and then following up with fat transfer, as needed, can often help smooth out defects of this area. Laser lipo has not been shown to be any better than classic tumescent liposuction and has more potential side effects.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon