Does Having a Thicker Cornea Help with PRK Recovery Time? My Cornea is Around 600 for Both Eyes.

Hi, I'm in the military, and I really want to correct my vision via PRK or LASIK. I'm leaning towards PRK due to the huge encouragement I got from the doctors and other soldiers saying that's the best way to go since I jump out of airplanes and dive under water for long periods of time. So yeah.

Corneal Thickness and PRK Healing Time

+2

I have never seen any direct relation, either in the literature or in my own experience, that the healing time after PRK is in any way related to corneal thickness. I believe the recovery from PRK can by hastened by some intraoperative maneuvers, but, is largely a byproduct of how your body heals. The reality is that some people heal more quickly than others. The long term studies of PRK and Lasik have both been terrific, so, if I were you, I would proceed with whichever procedure gives you the best result, and whichever of the two you feel most confident in based on your friends and colleagues experiences. Of course, I think your surgeon should have a say in all of this too!

Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Corneal thickness and laser vison correction

+1

While corneal thickness impacts your eligibility for laser vision correction, it does not impact recovery time. Recovery time is extended in PRK as no flap is created and will depend most on the starting prescription.

Ilan Cohen, MD
New York Ophthalmologist

Thicker Cornea Makes for a Shorter Recovery Time After PRK

+1

While having thick corneas allows for the treatment of higher prescriptions and reduces the chance of complications like ectasia, it has not been shown to significantly shorten the recovery time after PRK. 

Most likely because so much of the recovery after PRK involves healing of the surface of the eye which is not affected by the thickness and has to take place regardless of the thickness of the cornea.

Michael K. Tracy, MD
San Diego Ophthalmologist

Thickness of cornea and healing after PRK

+1

corneal thickness doesn't affect healing

healing is slow after PRK that is an archaic procedure in my opinion

i switched to LASEK and epiLASEK years ago

you may want to do see a surgeon who at least offers that

Emil Chynn, MD
New York Ophthalmologist