I Have Very Thick Skin Around my Nose and It is Very Wide, Will I Get Good Results?

I am getting Rhinoplasty at the end of this month. I have a really wide nose and my plastic surgeon said he is not going to remove any skin but just remove the cartilage. It's the width of my nose that bothers me more than the cartilage. I have very thick skin and it's just too much that I don't think it is going to look normal if he doesn't remove the skin.

Good Result With Rhinoplasty in Patient With Thick Skin

+2

Without a picture we can reassure you that, in general, people with thick skin will improve their appearance with rhinoplasty surgery. There are exceptions; for example patients with some skin disease. Skin removal would not change the thickness of your skin and cause unfavorable scars. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will establish reasonable expectations for you.

+2

Thick skin on the tip of the nose definitely affects the result of a rhinoplasty. However, everything is relative. If the underlying cartilage is very wide, you can still get an acceptable result according to how thick the skin is. Your plastic surgeon will evaluate this for you. The problem is that the thicker skin does not contract as much as thinner skin and thus, you may not get the refined tip that you have in mind.  Also, truly thick skin may be from a condition called rhinophyma and the skin can be thinned.

E. Ronald Finger, MD

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Thick Nose Skin Influences Rhinoplasty Results

+2

The thick skin of a nose can be very challenging for a satisfactory rhinoplasty result. Patients have to temper their expectations to have realistic results, particularly when the main goal is to have an overall thinner nose. At the least, you should anticipate significant postoperative nose swelling and months before you may enter the benefits phase of having undergone the operation. Expect less than you think the result wll be and prepare to take much longer than you think for the shape of the nose to show what was done during the surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Thick skin and rhinoplasty

+2

Thicker skinned patients are sometiems harder to deal with in rhinoplasty surgery.  They often do not get the refinement of a thinner skinned patient. But on the other hand, there skin tends to camouflage any irregularities better.

Rhinoplasty for Thick Skin and a Wide Nose

+2

I think it would be helpful to see phoots because what you consider a wide thick skinned nose may not be as much of a problem as it sounds. But if that is truly the case I think you need to be carefully counselled in realistic expectations.That is a very difficult nose to get much change in. More often than not I counsel patients to reconsider the surgery because even after all is done it is still going to be a thick skinned relatively wide nose and I never want a disappointed patient.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Rhinoplasty

+2

If you have concerns regarding your surgery I suggest you discuss them with your plastic surgeon. If you are happy with the discussion go forward if not seek other options.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Communicate with your Plastic Surgeon

+2

The most important aspect to achieving an ideal plastic surgery result is communication with your surgeon.  You need to consult with your surgeon again and before the surgery.  If it helps, make a list of the things you DO and DO NOT want in regards to the look of your new nose.  If you do not feel that your surgeon understands or can achieve this result for you then you should consider consulting with another plastic surgeon and Rhinoplasty Specialist.  You want to have your Rhinoplasty done correctly the first time. 

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Best Technique for Wide Nose

+2

You have to take control of your procedure to the degree that you feel confident that your surgeon understands your concerns and that he has convinced you that his plan makes perfect sense. In your case, since he is not planning on addressing the width of the lower nose your must understand why he is doing this. Right now it doesn't seem like the communication between you has been as good as it should be. There is no harm in seeing another surgeon, but look for someone who specializes in nasal surgery. Don't have the surgery unless you are very confident that the surgical plan will likely help you to realize your goals. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Rhinoplasty results in patients with thick skin

+1

The rhinoplasty procedure is performed to thin nasal tip cartilage as well as narrowing the nasal bones.  Thick nasal tip skin will obscure the full result that can be obtained with a rhinoplasty.  Cortisone injections into the tip of the nose can help with this problem.  There is no skin that is removed during the rhinoplasty procedure.