How Do They Get the Anesthesia to Wear off After a Breast Reduction

I am so scared about the general anesthesia part

General anesthesia and breast reduction

+1

It is completely normal to be uneasy about having surgery and being asleep under general anesthesia.  General anesthesia is very safe when it is performed by a board certified anesthesiologist at an accredited hospital or surgery center.  In terms of waking up after a procedure, the anesthesiologist titrates the amount of medication you are given so that it wears off gradually and its wearing off coincides with the end of the surgery.

I would suggest that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon and with your anesthesiologist.  

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

General anesthesia for breast reduction

+1

It is very common for patients to be concerned about general anesthesia.  It is the fear of the unknown and the fear of giving up control.  Modern general anesthesia is quite safe with a very low complication rate. 

The most likely problem you will encounter after general anesthesia is nausea and vomiting.

We do a lot of breast reduction surgeries without general anesthesia.  We use a technique of local anesthesia and deep IV sedation.  We use board certified anesthesiologists and a certified operating room.  This helps to avoid many of the problems with general anesthesia.  There is significantly less pain and nausea immediately after surgery.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia Titration?

+1

It is very common for patients to have anxiety regarding anesthesia necessary for plastic surgical procedures. In reality general anesthesia provided by a board-certified anesthesiologist in a fully accredited surgery center or hospital is extremely safe.

in regards to the question, anesthesiologists titrate the intravenous medications and inhalant agents in relation to progress of surgery. In other words, as a surgical procedure comes to a conclusion these agents are  weaned off. The anesthesiologists will also use medications to “reverse” the effects of agents previously used.

Again, teamwork is important to allow the anesthesiologist to  titrate the amount of anesthesia necessary (not too much or too little)  to provide a safe and comfortable experience for the patient.

Recovering from anesthesia

+1

Patients are frequently concerned about having to undergo surgery with a general anesthestic.  However, the vast majority of patients who have elective plastic surgery have very few issues related to the anesthestic.  The most common problem encountered is post-operative nausea and vomiting.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Scared of anesthesia

+1

it's normal to scared of anesthesia, especially if you're thinking of having elective or cosmetic surgery. Most of the anesthetics used today leave your bloodstream rapidly. That's why outpatient surgery has become so popular. Unless you have some major medical problems the risks of anything bad happening are less than driving a car, something I suspect you do do several times a day. Speak to your surgeon about it. You might also be able to speak to the anesthetist about your fears. Make sure that the facility is properly accredited. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD