What Are Your Recommendations For My Revision Case?

I had a rhinoplasty to fix a buckled cartilage from a previous biopsy. The surgeon suggested narrowing my tip a little bit a only taking off a small hump. His idea and my idea were very different. He made what I thought was a cute button nose long same width from bridge to tip where know it is skinny and rounded and drops straight down to my nostrils. So from the front the columella hangs and there is too much nostril show. My surgeon thinks it looks good. But he is the only one. I am devasted!

Unhappy after rhinoplasty

+1

The most important opinion is yours.  It is hard to evaluate your question without pictures, but it sounds as though you and your surgeon are not on the same page.  There are few absolute cannons of beauty, but a balanced and proportioned nasal contour is not hard to recognize. 

If you are now unhappy with your results and your surgeon is not sympathetic you need to get some new opinions.  Find a board certified plastic Surgeon who has experience with tertiary rhinoplasty.  Make sure to see a full portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures.  If what is recommended does not make sense to you then it is probably not the right opinion.  Don't "shop around" until you find what you want to hear, but interview a few respected surgeons to get a full education about what might be reasonable for your specific case. 

Several opinions will also give you a sense of whether or not your expectations are reasonable.

Revision rhinoplasty recommendations

+1

From your description it sounds like you have alar retraction and a hanging columella. These can be fixed with revision surgery, which is certainly more complicated than an initial surgery. We would be able to get a better idea of your issues by seeing some photos of your nose if you're looking for more specific comments.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

A beautiful nose is in the eye of the surgeon AND beholder

+1

Both primary and revision rhinoplasty are complex surgical procedures. Sometimes you might not get what you want if your anatomy is not amenable to what you desire. Other times, it's the surgeon's aesthetic taste that differs. When seeking both primary and revision rhinplasty you should seek out an expert. Discuss your goals. I find that computer imaging is very helpful in demonstrating not only what a result may look like, but helps with the discussion of what can and cannot be achieved. You should also review the surgeon's before and after photos to see if his or her results meet your aethetic requirements.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Collumelar Show

+1

Hi,

It sounds like you may have collumelar show and/or retracted alae. Its difficult to say without seeing a picture of what your talking about. If you want a better opinion, post a pic of you nose.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS