Does Thermage Work for Tightening Wrinkles?

does thermage work for tightening wrinkles?

Thermage & wrinkles

+1

Thermage tightens skin- but the effect on wrinkles really depends on exactly what things look like when you start.  The results of Thermage are not comparable to those of a facelift and you need to be honest about the type of result that will make you happy.  For the right candidate, Thermage used with other skin-tightening technologies may lead to results that can rival surgical resylts in some cases.  I have had some patients who elected to hold off with nasolabial fold fillers due to the improvement in these folds after skin tightening.  I'm not sure that these devices are a wonderful thing for Plastic Surgeons like myself.  My sense is that, ten years from now, it will be rare that a facelift is performed on patients with minor issues.

Thermage® will not correct deep wrinkles.

+1

Although Thermage does stimulate collagen to tighten the skin and can have a slight smoothing effect, it is not the treatment of choice for deep wrinkles. Thermage is excellent to improve face/neck contours and laxity and can also reduce fine lines. Deep wrinkles that are caused by facial expressions need to be treated at the root of the problem. For forehead lines, botox can relax certain muscles to soften those lines. For lines around the mouth or cheeks you'd be better off with a dermal filler (Juvederm or Restylane) or an ablative laser (Profractional or Laser resurfacing).

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Thermage results are very subtle

+1

When considering Thermage treatment, it is very important that you visit a practitioner who will be 100% honest with you about expectations and what kind of results Thermage can produce.  Thermage can produce happy patients with nice results - but there are also a larger number of Thermage patients who are unhappy.  These unhappy patients mostly stem from those who had high hopes that Thermage can produce surgical-style results non-surgically and that is simply untrue. 

Sam Naficy, MD