Does New Thermage Tip Help with Pain?

Please tell me the purpose of the new tip for Thermage. Is it for the pain and if so, then is it okay to use a higher degree of Radio Frequency to give better results for the face or body? Some doctors say it's better to use a higher level and others say that more passes work better. I am confused.

Thermage CPT greatly improves comfort

+2

The new Thermage CPT uses the old technology in a new way.  The treatments are much more comfortable and as a result you are able to deliver more heat to the areas treated.  As with the older technology, we are still doing multiple passes.  The result is that you get better and more even heating of the skin and typically better results than before.  Some patients that have experienced both have noted the world of difference and are even more pleased with their results. 

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thermage CPT better and more comfortable

+1

The Thermage CPT (Comfort Pulse Technology) has been very well received in our office.  Patients experience significantly less discomfort (almost none) as opposed to previous versions of Thermage.  The other great benefit , in addition to more comfortable, is that with the new technology more heat can actually be delivered in a more efficient way, increasing the therapeutic benefits. We still do multiple passes over the areas being treated in order to achieve the ideal temperature.  More passes, rather than fewer really intense passes, are definitely better and much safer as well.  Our patients love the new CPT and love the improved results as well.

Dr. Grant Stevens     

Grant Stevens, MD

Thermage CPT head is less painful

+1

The new Thermage head is called CPT for "Comfort Pulse Technology" and it uses high frequency vibration while the RF pulse is being delivered. It relies on what is called the "gate theory" of pain control which means that only so many stimuli can get through the nerve at one time, so the vibration acts as a distraction by taking up some of the nerve's "bandwidth." We tried it here and found that it helps. I am in the camp of more pulses at the same settings rather than higher settings, since cranking it up is riskier in terms of burns and I don't think it is more effective.

Richard Baxter, MD