Can Using Thermage Speed Up the Aging Process?

Can thermage, while tightening skin in the short term, reduce the skin's long-term viability and lead to faster aging? In other words, how much is known about the very long term effects of Thermage?

Thermage and aging

+1

We have been treating patients with Thermage for 8 years in our practice, including myself and many staff members.  From experience in speaking with patients that had the treatment in the beginning, none have ever reported feeling that they feel that their skin has suffered long term as a result of treatment.  Thermage has been shown to not only tighten the skin but also increase collagen production and thicken the skin, and in a sense slowing the aging process.  So by tightening we are not thinning the skin, which you would think about with aging skin, with the heat we deliver (as you would imagine when rolling out dough, in which smoothing causes thinning and stretching) but in fact it's the opposite.

Dr. Grant Stevens            

Thermage unlikely to speed aging

+1

Thermage radiofrequency has been in clinical use for several years now, and from my exprience i wouldn't say it is completely accurate to call the effect temporary. It is more like setting back the clock rather than stopping it. The healing process that Thermage stimulates makes new collagen. There may be some theoretical basis to question whetjher this hastens aging but I can't think of what it would be. Just about every thing we do to counteract aging skin attempts to stimulate similar processes, whether by peeling, heating with lasers or radiofrequency, or anything else.

Richard Baxter, MD