Is Thermage Suitable for Younger People?

I'm 25-year-old Asian female with hooding beginning on one eyelid. Is facial Thermage appopriate for younger skin? Is it possible the every 2-year follow-up procedures will not be needed for my case, if I take good care of my skin following as I am still fairly young?

Thermage is a non-surgical procedure that is more appropriate for your age than surgery

+1
I have been seeing excellent results with Thermage for eyes.  If you are 25 I think it is too young to do a blepharoplasty because you will most likely need to repeat this surgery in ten years at age 35.  With Thermage you can do a painless non-surgical procedure and will benefit enough to postpone surgery for several years.  You can do Thermage every two years until the time comes when you really are a surgical candidate.

Thermage for hooding

+1

It would be appropriate for you to start Thermage treatments if you already have hooding of your eyelids.  The results will last about 2 years but you would need to repeat treatment since you continue to age.  Use sun protection and sunglasses to prevent more collagen breakdown.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Thermage at 25

+1

We have had some really excellent results in improving sagging upper eyelids in patients treated with Thermage.  For some patients it does take two treatments to see a more noticeable improvement. If you don't feel surgery is an option for you yet, or your surgeon doesn't, then Thermage can be an excellent alternative.  Though results are not guaranteed, our patients have been pleased.  Unfortunately, even if you take excellent care of your skin, aging still occurs, gravity is still in effect and collagen does degrade, so you'll need follow up/maintenance treatment at some point.  Thermage can be an excellent part of preventative treatment.

Dr. Grant Stevens 

Grant Stevens, MD

Thermage usually works

+1

I have been impressed with the results of Thermage on my patients and have been disappointed. I have found that it "works" by burning and thus tightening the underlying collagen in most patients except those that have sundamage or are smokers for their collagen is already damaged. The other obvious advantage is that it is nonsurgical and complications are rare.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Thermage in younger adults

+1

Thermage may be a good alternative for you since at 25 you probably are not too interested in surgical options. Thermage tends to work well in those who are younger, generally fit with good skin tone. Results with Thermage on eyelid skin may be dramatic for some individuals. I think Thermage may be a reasonable option to consider especially if you want to delay or even avoid surgery.

Good luck.

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Some tightening with Thermage is possible, but you may be better with surgery

+1

If you have a lot of hooding sometimes an upper lid blepharoplasty may get you a better long term result than repeating thermage. Thermage can give you some tightening but the results are often inconsistant.

Go to a plastic surgeon that offers both so you will get a balanced view between the two. Even in the best of hands if your only tool is a hammer the whole world can look like a nail.

Good luck,

Dr T

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon