Thermage on Stomach - Will It Help?

I've had 2 kids (gained 50 pounds with both and lost the weight each time). I'm back to my weight, very thin, but have lost the elasticity in my skin on my abdomen. Attached is a picture. I have a 3 year old and 1 year old, no help and little money so the option of a tummy tuck is out for me for now. I found a place that is doing Thermage for $900 any area and am going in in a few days to have it done. I was just curious what doctors on here think... will it help? I'll post pics after. Thanks!

Thermage will never supplant an abdominoplasty.

+2

If Thermage shrinks skin at all, it isn't very much.  Most "tightening" is swelling created in the skin by the trauma of the procedure that is perceived as tightening (it is not).  Don't waste your money.

Thermage for abdomen works for mild skin laxity

+2
It appears that you have done a great job of getting in shape after your pregnancies and you now know that exercise won't tighten the skin. Thermage would help with a mild case of skin laxity but my guess is that it won'( help much for you. Save your money for a tummy tuck.

Richard Baxter, MD

Thermage to improve skin elasticity and tightening.

+1

If a tummy tuck is not within your budget, Thermage radio frequency would help tighten and lift your skin.  You should have realistic expectations though, since it will not replace surgery.

The price you have been offered is very low and you may not be receiving the number of pulses necessary to give you the desired result.  You should have 1200 pulses for your abdomen, so if it is less, reconsider having the treatment.  You should consult a board certified dermatologist.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Thermage vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

Unfortunately, Thermage is great for improving minor skin laxity.  Getting a Thermage treatment may help a little for the loose skin but I would not expect a noticeable difference on your abdomen with one treatment.  I am sorry but I would highly recommend saving your money and eventually investing in a tummy tuck for optimal results. 

Good luck.

Grant Stevens, MD

Thermage for loose belly skin

+1

Thermage can tighten loose skin anywhere on the body.  Thermage is not a surgical treatment, but many people do not want surgery or the resulting scars, can't afford it, or are not good surgical candidates.  The results that you see depend on several factors: the condition of your skin, age, sun exposure history, smoking history and how the treatment is performed.  Thermage works by tightening your collagen and stimulating the production of new collagen, so the better your skin is before treatment the better your results will be.  During treatment, energy is put into the skin in individual "pulses" and the total amount of energy put into the area is important.  If you do not have enough energy (enough "pulses") you will not see much in the way of results.  Based on your picture I think you could see a noticeable improvement if you had a treatment with enough energy.  Be sure that you are having your treatment from an experienced Dermatologist, and ask about the energy and pulses being given to you.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon