Which Skin Types See the Best Results with Thermage?

Every procedure has a group that sees the most benefits. I would love to know, which skin types make the best candidate for the Thermage procedure?

Skin condition not type predicts Thermage results

+1

One of the advantages of Thermage nonsurgical skin tightening is that it works on all skin types regardless of color, unlike lasers. However, because it works by stimulating collagen to regenerate, there has to be some collagen there to begin with. Since colalgen is the main structural protein in skin, when it starts to deteriorate you see loss of elasticity and firmness.

That is the problem with marketing Thermage as an alternative to a facelift or other surgical procedure. If the skin is so lax that a surgical procedure might be justified then you are probably past the point where Thermage would give a good result. Think of it as something that puts off the need for a facelift rather than an alternative. My advice is to see a plastic surgeon who offers Thermage so you won't be sold by someone offering more limited options.

Younger, more elastic skin does best with Thermage.

+1

Hi! There are 3 important points:

1) In Manhattan, we have seen good Thermage results with ALL skin types, but it varies. It's a matter of degree and reasonable patient expectations.

2) It's most effective for younger, slightly thicker, more elastic skin. It's least helpful for badly stretched skin, in people older than 60, or with severe sun damage.

3) Thermage has a mixed reputation because it is often done incorrectly. You need to deliver multiple energy pulses, which requires buying large treatment heads, which are more expensive. The doctor cannot cut corners.

There are more Thermage answers in the Q&A on my web site.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)