Thermage on Neck and Jaw, Does It Work?

Doctor, Im in my 40s and I feel the skin around my jaw and neck are sagging a little and make me look older. I'd like it tightened. Some dermatologists say thermage skin tightening works (but results may not be worth the cost), while some plastic surgeons say it doesn't work. They seem to be in competing fields somewhat. What information should I believe and if it does work, should thermage and fillers be left to plastic surgeons rather than dermatologists? Cost? Thanks in Toledo.

Ulthera to the neck and jowl areas - Los Angeles

+1

Our office recommends the Ulthera procedure to tighten the neck and jowl areas in both men and women.  Customized treatments with Ulther can tighten deeper tissues and the lower face. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Thermage on Neck/jaw, Does It Work and the Cost? Dermatologist Vs. Plastic Surgeon for Thermage/fillers?

+1

Externally applied Lasers etc. can shrink and tighten the skin but marginally compared to a minimal incision Face Lift.  Fillers can fill in the nasolabial folds and Marrionette Lines but add volume and don't make the face appear more firm or smaller.  Photos documenting the degree of Jowls and neck skin would be helpful.  

As far as Dermatologist, Facial Plastic or plastic and cosmetic surgeons...choose one based on their understanding of the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the craetion of a naturally, more attrractive face.  It's always best, IMHO, to choose an MD that has mutiple ways to make you more naturally attractive.  That way, you're certain you're getting the best one, not the "only one" that they have.

Thermage versus surgery

+1

Without pictures, it is difficult to determine whether or not you would be a good candidate for thermage. Good candidates are typically people in their 40's with early signs of aging such as skin laxity and laxity in the neck that would not warrant surgical intervention. Even in this population I have seen mixed results. I would get opinions from at least two experienced and qualified surgeons before making a decision to move forward.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Thermage for jowls

+1

Thermage is a non-invasive treatment for skin tightening with sorta mixed results. some of my patients find it helpful, others cant tell the difference. its difficult to predict who will respond and who wont until a few months after the treatment. on the other hand, its best to have evaluation by a cosmetic surgeon or a plastic surgeon to make sure if thermage is the right procedure for you or not.

Misbah Khan, MD

Who should perform Thermage or fillers?

+1
EIther a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist is capable of performing Thermage or injecting fillers. I have seen limited benefit from Thermage and do not think that, on a cost/benefit analysis, it is worthwhile. It is impossible to make an individualized recommendation for you without photographs or a personal examination. The one advantage in seeing a plastic surgeon is that we have both the noninvasive and surgical methodologies available and are able to discuss the applicability of both for individual patient needs. Tightening of the jaw line can be performed in a variety of ways: using filler in the lower face, strategically injected, liposuction of the jawline, etc.

Robert L. Kraft, MD