Thermage for Male Breast Fat Removal

Is Thermage for male breast fat removal or reduction appropriate?

THERMAGE

+2

BE WARE OF UNSABISTANTIATED CLAIMS

ONE MACHINE DISOLVES FAT, TREATS CELLULITE, TREATS LOOSE SKIN, NOW TREATS GYNECOMASTIA??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Thermage for gynecomastia

+1

Dear Patient, Thermage is a treatment that helps tighten and contour your skin by stimulating your body's natural renewal of collagen. It is not a treatment to remove or reduce fat. I suggest you consult you physician so he can help you decide what procedure is right for you. Best of luck.

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Thermage for Gynecomastia

+1

RadioFrequency devices such as Thermage have not yet been approved for fat reduction although it is likely the most promising technology for this purpose right now.  Interestingly, one of the issues of concern with early radio-frequency Thermage used for skin-tightening on the face was that it was causing a loss of facial fat volume.  RadioFrequency in its different forms is now being investigated for use in fat reduction in ways that will likely become quite significant.  In fact, RadioFrequency is even being investigated for its use as a treatment for breast cancer.  The fact is that RadioFrequency is being shown to be a technology that is extremely safe and extremely accurate.  Based on my own experience and knowledge my sense is that RadioFrequency is the future of 'less-invasive' fat reduction.  Other technologies, in my experience, such as Zeltiq, are leading to significant disappointment among patients.

That said, when it comes to gynecomastia- an enlarged breast in a man- has multiple etiologies.  The breast is both gland and fat.  For patients where the bulk of the issue is an enlargement of the breast gland itself, no treatment is currently as effective as surgery to physically remove this gland.  For patients where the bulk of the cosmetic deformity is due to fat, liposuction is currently the hallmark of treatment and it is this subset of patients- the majority of patients complaining about this deformity, who will benefit from fat reduction from external energy devices like Thermage.  I hope this long winded explanation helps!  Good Luck!  Scott Newman, MD FACS

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Thermage Not Indicated For Gynecomastia

+1

I am not a fan of Thermage in general and definitely would not recommend its use for gynecomastia.  Male breast reduction or gynecomastectomy typically involves both liposuction of excess fat as well as direct excision of glandular tissue.

John Whitt, MD

Thermage not for male breast fat reduction

+1

Thermage and other radiofrequency devices are not presently indicated or approved for fat removal. Some studies with the radiofrequency devices show fat reduction but further studies are needed to substantiate this. We have used the zeltiq coolsculpting device for male fat reduction in selected patients with fatty breasts and have had excellent results. Most patients require some form of liposuction or even excision for very glandular patients. I usually use a vaser device for treating gynecomastia and will excise tissue only if does not respond to vaser treatment.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Thermage for Fat Removal

+1

Using Thermage for fat removal, for the male breast or otherwise, is a misunderstanding of the technology.

Thermage has a notably very low "Worth It" rating here on RealSelf, and that has been the feedback I have had from other plastic surgeons and patients. I have not personally used the Thermage device, but my presumption has been that a relatively small number of people end up getting results from treatment.

Beware the marketing hype for tech devices in aesthetic surgery -- most of the time it is just that -- hype.

Hope this helps,

Nick Slenkovich, MD FACS

Nick Slenkovich, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon