Thermage for Belly with Little Loose Skin?

I am scheduled to have Thermage tomorrow on my Stomach. I don't have a lot of loose skin, but just enough to make me not want to wear a bikini. I have done tons of research and I am still not convinced I should do it. Some one please help me with a yes or definitely no. Thanks!

Thermage works best with little loose skin and in candidates with good skin tone and turgor

+1
If you have severe skin damage or sagging than Thermage is not right for you.  If there is an excess bulge of fat than Zeltiq may be the best option to freeze that belly fat.  In general I use some combination of Zeltiq followed by Thermage in my younger patients to get the best overall results for the abdomen.

Thermage for the belly

+1

Greetings Kel~

I wish I could give you a definitive answer on the treatment for your belly.  It's always difficult to make a determination on a treatment one way or the other without seeing someone first...especially to determine what it looks like and what you want it to look like.  Thermage is good for a little loose skin (perhaps due to some, though not excessive, weight loss or after pregnancy) but not going to make a big difference if it's not skin but just a few extras pounds that need to be shed.  If you have a little extra around the middle, you may consider something like Zeltiq to eliminate some of the fat cells in the area without having to do surgery.  It's a great non-invasive treatment.    So, to sum it up Thermage does work to tighten loose skin on the belly...but will you get the results you're looking for?  I don't know.

Grant Stevens, MD

In general Thermage should help you

+1

Thermage used for abdomen is generally successful in tightening the skin

It should not be considered a modality for weight loss but rather to tighten the skin .

Also the improvement is not seen right away but rather gradual over a course of 4-6 months.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Managing expectations with Thermage

+1

As a plastic surgeon who offers Thermage, I have a unique perspective in that I can also offer surgical procedures when those are the better choice. Results do vary with Thermage so no one can promise you what your own results might be, and especially without seeing you personally. As we get more experience with Thermage, we are better able to predict who is going to get a better response to the treatment.

Generally, it is people with some elasticity in the skin, which diminishes with age so younger is better. If you have stretch marks, or have had a lot of weight loss, it is much less likely that you will be happy with it. Bottom line is that your doctor who will be doing it is in the best position to advise you about results, since he or she has actually evaluated your skin.

Richard Baxter, MD