Thermage or Laser Treatment for Sagging Eyelids?

I am 68 with pronounced eyelid sag. What treatment would be preferable? Which procedure would you recommend, Thermage/Thermacool or surgery by laser? Which is safer for the eyes and longer lasting?

Thank you,
Jacques

Thermage for sagging eyelids

+1

The eyes are the windows to the soul. All too often, however, they seem to reveal exhaustion. The very delicate skin around the eyes tends to get crepey and puffy due to fatigue and stress. An effective non-surgical option is Thermage, which can tighten the skin around the eyes. Thermage is a non-invasive (no incision!) treatment that can tighten skin and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. Fast and easy, Thermage requires no downtime from normal activities.

Topical creams can reduce some lines and wrinkles around the eyes almost immediately, even without surgery. Topical creams like Dr Michelle Copeland Rewind Eye Formula containing pentapeptides and antioxidants help reduce the appearance of fine lines around the delicate eye area, increasing collagen production and reducing dark circles and puffiness over time.

Thermage or surgery for sagging eyelids?

+1

Thermage works by superheating the deeper layers of the skin and prompting collagen production. The younger someone is, the more efficient the collagen-building response. It works best for moderate skin sagging.

At your age of 68 I would estimate that your chances of getting the results you want are much better with surgery. I am assuming you are referring to laser incisions - which tend to seal the edges of cut tissue. Revisit the surgical options as you may want to understand the difference in the healing process between incisions with a scalpel and those made by laser.

Of course any surgery will require a healing period, some probable swelling and bruising and discomfort and some level of anesthesia. Thermage, on the other hand, has no healing time and eliminates anesthesia risks because it is not required.

If you elect to have surgery, try to veer toward an oculoplastic surgeon who will have the most experience in cosmetic eye surgery. Done correctly, eye lift surgery can look very natural.

We've had nice response to Thermage for eyes, even on some older patients, but for extreme sagging, it probably wouldn't be a first choice.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.