Is It OK to Get Thermage if You Have Already Invested a Lot in Fillers Like Restylane?

I have had Restylane put in several locations on my face. If it weren't for the fillers, I would have a substantial amount of sagging under the eyes and through the cheeks even though I am only 36 years old. I'm beginning to see sagging at my jowl line, at the sides of my chin. Wondering if Thermage is advisable for someone who has already invested quite a bit in fillers with good results. Does Thermage complement fillers?

There are no good studies about Thermage being used in combination with Restylane

+2

There are no good studies about Thermage being used in combination with Restylane injections. If you’ve had Restylane injected superficially and you do Thermage over it, there’s a good chance you’ll decrease the effect of the Restylane. But, it depends on where the product has been placed. Very often we place Restylane deep on the bone in which case Thermage won’t affect it. It really depends on what’s been done. Usually, Thermage is complimentary to fillers. This is true particularly with Sculptra and Radiesse because they stimulate collagen as does Thermage.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers like Restylane are complement other treatments like Thermage

+1
Restylane is a great filler for the face.  I use it frequently to fill hollows or wrinkles under eyes or around the mouth or nasolabial areas.  It will not tighten the actual skin.  Thermage is an excellent complement to the facial fillers in that it is the only non-surgical single treatment device that will tighten sagging skin from jowels to neck and elsewhere on the body.  I think it would be a good investment since it is a one time treatment which will last several years.

Michele S. Green, MD

Thermage for saggy jowls and fillers

+1

Thermage skin tightening is a great complement to fillers which add volume.  Thermage will tighten and lift a saggy jawline as well as tighten eyelid folds and crepiness.  Thermage will not melt the filler but you should wait one month for the filler to settle before having Thermage.  Have your treatment with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Thermage and fillers

+1

We frequently perform Thermage in patients who had filler treatments in the past.  Many patients benefit from a muti-faceted approach incorporating fillers for volume replacement, lasers for skin texture, brown spots, and blood vessels, and radiofrquency for tightening.     

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Aventura Dermatologist

Thermage after fillers

+1

We have treated many patients with Thermage after they have had Restylane, Juvederm ot Radiesse injections.

Although we cannot quantify the results, most patients are very  satisfied with the combination.

As indicated by some of the other experts, the fillers replace volume and Thermage tightens the skin.

Always make sure that you are treated by an experienced, Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Thermage® and dermal fillers, such as Restylane, are excellent complimentary treatments.

+1

Thermage is an excellent complimentary treatment with dermal fillers. Thermage can stimulate the collagen to cause a slight lift and tightening to the jaw line and neck that no other treatment can do without surgery. The effects of Thermage last about 2 years and is an excellent prevention for further signs of aging. Thermage can also reduce the amount of filler needed in the future especially to the naso-labial folds. Just remember that you should never do a Thermage treatment immediately after filler. You must wait at least 2 months to allow the product to settle, otherwise you risk dissolving some of the filler with the heat of the Thermage.

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Thermage treatment after fillers

+1

The best results for anti-aging are usually seen when we use a combination of treatments that work in different ways.  Fillers replace lost volume and by filling can lift sagging skin, but fillers do not tighten the skin.  Thermage will tighten the skin, and is safe to do over areas where you have had fillers placed even recently.  Thermage and fillers are complementary treatments and many people do elect to do both.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Thermage and fillers

+1
When one is undergoing rejuvenation of the face, a multifaceted approach is usually ideal. Of course every patients needs are different so it is best to be evaluated by a cosmetic physician who does all of these procedures. Fillers help replace volume we loose in our face over time. Thermage helps to tighten lax skin.

Lori A. Brightman, MD

Thermage and fillers

+1

Thermage can be performed over fillers.  We and others have studied this and found that there is no increaed risk of complications from the Thermage treatment nor does there seem to be faster breakdown of the fillers after Thermage treatment.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Thermage, radiofrequency waves, nonsurgical facelift

+1

Thermage is an excellent nonsurgical approach to facial sagging. Some patients get quick remarkable improvement while in certain patients there can be very little to no improvement. Those it seems not to work that well in are those with sun damage or smokers for their collagen is injured already. I have found it usally really works for cellulite or waviness of the skin in various parts of the body like the legs. 

No anesthesia is needed and the treatments take about one hour. Some swelling can occur. The results can last even up to a year or so. About 40% of patients see an immediate improvement and in the other 40% it takes several months. Demi Moore little secret(she spends upwards of 150K per year on Thermage) is becoming more widely known.

I might add that it will never give the results of surgery so patients have to be realistic about it. Once a lot of excess skin is present, no matter where it is, nothing, including SmartLipo, SlimLipo, Thermage or any type of laser will remove it!  Watch my videos!

I should also add that the radiofrequency waves can cause the quicker breakdown of any filler so you should have the fillers after the Thermage. I actually recommend Thermage over fillers intially for you get "more bang for your bucks" with it! 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon