Is Thermage a Good Solution for Firming Skin Than a Tuck?

I am 26. I weigh about 122lbs and am 5'7. I have had two children, as the result of course I have loose skin that doesn't seem to be firmed by any means I've tried. Exercise, lotions, oils, etc. Is Thermage a good safe solution for me if I don't want a tummy tuck? I don't think my skin is bad enough for a tummy tuck. My skin is very stretchy and I got very few stretch marks from both my children who are 2 years apart. Is there any other non-invase procedure I could get done?

Thermage Usually Disappoints...

+2

Hi there-

While it sounds great, most responsible plastic surgeons would agree that Thermage outcomes are spotty and unreliable at best...

I would agree with Dr. Placik- if money is of no concern to you, it may be worth a try, but otherwise I would advise you to visit a good surgeon in your area- it may be that a minor skin tightening of the skin in your lower abdomen would be more likely to achieve your goals.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Thermage is probably a waste of time.

+2

If money is not an object and you are trying everything you can to avoid surgery, then it may be worth a try at Thermage. However, in my experience I have frequent occasion to see people who have been dissatsfied wtih the treatment.

Thermage can tighten the skin

+2

Hi KittyEnglish,

I have seen some good results with Thermage but it is very variable and hard to predict the result.  Usually you need 1 or 2 treatments at first, followed by a yearly touchup.  Some doctors offer a reduced fee for the subsequent treatments.  Thanks for the photo.  While standing you do not look like you need a tummy tuck.  However, if when you sit, the skin below your belly button kind of folds over, you might be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck.  It does not appear you would need a full tummy tuck.  Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Thermage is effective for mild skin laxity

+2

It would be great if exercise or skin creams could actually tighten skin but sadly no. If you had enough skin laxity to be a candidate for an abdominoplasty then Thermage would be unlikely to do very much, but as you appear to have a less significant problem it would be worth looking into. See a professional who does both Thermage and tummy tucks for an honest opinion.

Thermage Treatment?

+1

If you are prepared for minimal to no visible effect then the use of Thermage  is an option. Better yet, visit with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons  to discuss all options.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Thermage as a possible option

+1

Typical candidates for a full tummy tuck are women with drooping abdomens after pregnancy, women and men who've lost a great deal of weight, menopausal women, or older people with loose skin due to age. An effective non-surgical option that you may be a candidate for is Thermage, a non-invasive (no incision!) treatment that can tighten skin, and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. The procedure uses radiofrequency technology called ThermaCool that has been clinically proven to tighten and gently lift skin to smooth out wrinkles and renew facial contours. Fast and easy, Thermage requires no downtime from normal activities. And unlike laser treatments, Thermage can be performed on patients of all skin types. Thermage can be used all over the body, including flabby arms, hands, and legs. Now approved by the FDA for improving cellulite. Tighten and lift without surgery, injections, or downtime.

Thermage and Skin Tightening

+1

Thermage in my experience is a waste of time.  You may be a candidate for a limited(mini) tummy tuck where excess skin from below the belly button is removed the muscles below the belly button are tightened.  Visit with a plastic surgeon for a consult and exam to explore your options.

Dr. ES

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.