Thermage for Cellulite (In my Late 20's)? (photo)

I called a cosmetic surgeon's office inquiring about cellulite treatment, and they recommended Thermage for my upper-thighs/buttocks area. I am at a healthy weight but do seem to gain weight in the area. My skin does seem a little loose for somebody my age (28), but I have never been very over weight or have any reason to have tons of excess skin. I know that results would not be guaranteed, but I'm curious: can this place be trusted, or does it seem like a money-making scam? Thank you!

Thermage provides a temporary visual improvement in cellulite

+1

Cellulite doesn't always have to be a weight issue. Many women who are quite thin still complain about cellulite. It's very possible that what we eat and also the hormones in what we eat affect the accumulation of these little fat lumps.

Thermage works by heating the skin down into the fatty layer. The resulting collagen tightening above that layer makes the skin less obviously bumpy, but it won't get rid of cellulite. You'll possibly see a temporary improvement -  but from the standpoint of actually making the cellulite go away, there's no evidence - or claim - that indicates the technology has that ability.

Los Angeles Dermatologist

Thermage works best for skin tightening

+1
I really like Thermage for the skin around the neck and face but cellulite is a more difficult situation.  Thermage does not always work in those cases.  It is not a guarantee and there is no 100% effective treatment for cellulite yet.  I would wait and see what other technology comes out for cellulite over the next few years.

Michele S. Green, MD

Cellulite Treatment Options....

+1

I personally would recommend Cellulaze.  In my office we have not had much improvement with cellulite when treated with anything other than Cellulaze.  I would encourage you to look into this technology and go to an experienced physician who performs this procedure.  Good luck.

Dr. Grant Stevens         Marina Plastic Surgery Associates       Marina del Rey, CA      The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Treatment for cellulite

+1

Cellulite is a common condition that is universally disliked by those who have it.  While Thermage does have an indication for the treatment of cellulite, I have not found that it produces enough improvement to warrant the cost.  I have used a number of devices for the treatment of cellulite and I now prefer to perform a procedure called subcision using an instrument that I developed for this purpose.  Subcision is performed in the office under local anesthesia.  Our patients typically report 50-70% impovement following a single treatment.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Thermage is an option for cellulite

+1

95% of women have cellulite and 100% do not like it.  Cellulite is independent of weight and occurs in slim and overweight women.  Thermage is a treatment option for cellulite and only one treatment is required.  The result lasts for about 2 years.  Another option is SmoothShapes laser which requires 2 treatments per week for 4 weeks and then a maintenance treatment every 3-6 months.  LPG Endermologie with lipomassage is a less aggressive procedure that requires 20 treatments and then maintenance.  You should receive treatment from a physician you trust.  Consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who offers these treatments. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist